BENTON HARBOR, Mich., May 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Whirlpool Corporation announced a collaboration with Google, which will bring voice-control capabilities through the Google Assistant on Google Home to new smart home appliances launching across Whirlpool Corporation's portfolio of brands. The collaboration makes Whirlpool Corporation among the first in the home appliance category to give consumers the ability to connect their appliances to Google Home.
"We're excited to join forces with Google Home, and to be among the companies part of its inaugural introduction to the home appliance category," said Brett Dibkey, Vice President of Integrated Business Units at Whirlpool Corporation. "As we continue to pursue innovations that meet consumer needs and improve their lives, the activation of Google Home capabilities delivers on what we know is an increasing consumer desire to interact with appliances in new and unique ways."
Google Home compatibility will be introduced in more than 20 Jenn-Air and Whirlpool brand models in 2017, starting with Jenn-Air connected wall ovens.
By interacting with the Google Assistant on Google Home devices and remotely enabling their appliances, consumers will be able to remotely operate their appliances in a variety of ways through voice commands:
- Consumers will be able to interact with their smart ovens and ranges to set time and temperature, check whether the oven is on or off or how much time is left, adjust cooking mode, oven and light and turn on/off Sabbath mode and vacation modes.
- Consumers can talk to their microwave to check how much time is remaining and whether the appliance is on.
- When it comes to the refrigerator, consumers will be able to set different modes and temperatures and check the filter status and current temperature.
- Consumers will be able to operate their dishwashers via voice control, asking the machines to start, pause or resume a cycle, turn on different modes and check the status of a cycle or filter.
- When in need of support, consumers can use the Google Assistant to check their appliance serial number and internet connection, and ask for the customer support number.
This collaboration with Google Home is another demonstration of the ways in which Whirlpool Corporation is delivering next-generation innovations that enable consumers to enjoy a purposeful smart home ecosystem.
About Whirlpool Corporation
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the number one major appliance manufacturer in the world, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 93,000 employees and 70 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2016. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world. Additional information about the company can be found at WhirlpoolCorp.com, or find us on Twitter at @WhirlpoolCorp.
 Requires WiFi and account creation. App features and functionality subject to change. Subject to Terms of Service available at: whirlpool.com/connect. Data rates may apply.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/whirlpool-corporation-activates-google-home-functionality-bringing-google-assistant-capabilities-to-the-home-appliance-category-300459399.html
SOURCE Whirlpool Corporation