NEW YORK, Oct. 30, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Seven US tech companies have been selected as the winners of the UK government's third annual GREAT Tech Awards. The winners were announced last night at a gala in New York City hosted by Danny Lopez, British Consul General in New York.
The winners represent innovative companies in the US tech scene that aim to build an international presence. They will receive a bespoke business development trip to the UK during the week of 30 November 2015. The category winners are: for CleanTech, Heads Up Display; for EdTech, Tinybop; for FinTech, Hedgeable; for Health, Celmatix; for Lifestyle, iDevices; and for Media, Bounce Exchange. Best of USA, a new category this year, was awarded to ShopKeep. The final award, Best of British, was awarded to TransferWise.
The sector-specific category winners will receive a customized package that includes: a roundtrip flight to London provided by British Airways; five nights' accommodation at Corinthia Hotel London; accountancy services from BDO, legal services from Fieldfisher, recruitment services from Propel Executive, real estate services from Knight Frank; business development services from sector specialists including Advice Cloud, Device Access UK, Durham Lane, Gateway Europe, International Management Answers, and MedTech Logistics; meetings with mentors and government officials; and attendance at the unBound Digital conference in London.
"Corinthia Hotel London is proud to sponsor The GREAT Tech Awards for the second year," said Thomas M. Fischer, General Manager of the Corinthia Hotel London. "Hosting the winners at Corinthia allows us a first introduction to the most innovative US tech companies and gives them an opportunity to experience London's twenty-first century grand hotel in a building combining 130 years of history with the most modern technology and hospitality."
This summer, technology companies headquartered in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and all six New England states were eligible to apply for one of the sector-specific award categories. An advisory board of industry influencers has chosen the finalists based on their potential for overseas growth and the innovativeness of their product or service. A separate judging panel selected the winners. The eighth award, for the Best of British category, recognized the transatlantic growth of a British technology company that has successfully established an office in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, or the New England area.
The winners were selected by a prestigious panel of judges including: Pete Cashmore, CEO & Founder of Mashable; Glenda Bailey OBE, Editor-in-Chief of Harper's Bazaar and GREAT Britain Campaign ambassador; Ignacio Isa Martin, Sales Director at British Airways North America; Michael Hayman, Co-founder of Seven Hills; Marco Mohwinckel, Global Head of Integrated Care Solutions at Janssen Healthcare Innovation; Gareth Jones, Co-founder and General Partner at FinTech Collective; Anant Agarwal, CEO of edX; and Thomas R. Burton III, Chair of the Energy Technology Practice at Mintz Levin.
To learn more about the GREAT Tech Awards, visit www.greattechawards.com
- The GREAT Britain campaign showcases the very best of what the UK has to offer and encourages people to visit, do business, invest and study in the UK. It unites the efforts of the public and private sector to generate jobs and growth for Britain.
- For more updates on The GREAT Tech Awards, follow us on Twitter at @UKTIUSA and using #GREATtech.
- British Airways, part of International Airlines Group, is one of the world's leading global premium airlines and the largest international carrier in the UK. The carrier has its home base at London Heathrow, the world's busiest international airport, and flies to more than 70 different countries.
- Corinthia Hotel London is a twenty-first century grand hotel located in the heart of London, created by experts with a passion for craftsmanship and an understanding of world-class service. Housed within a Victorian building, 294 rooms including 36 suites and 7 penthouses offer sweeping views across London's most popular landmarks.
- Today's Merck is a global healthcare leader working to help the world be well. Merck is known as MSD outside the United States and Canada. Through our prescription medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, and consumer care and animal health products, we work with customers and operate in more than 140 countries to deliver innovative health solutions.
- BDO is a leading global network of accounting, tax and advisory firms that provides a full range of professional services worldwide. Whether you're a private client, an owner managed business or an ambitious listed company, BDO has the right people and the right experience to deliver tangible value.
- Fieldfisher is an international law firm of almost 450 lawyers working with giant UK, US and global companies. The firm's skills in major corporate M and A, capital markets and VC deals are equaled by their knowledge and expertise in their top ranked Technology Transactions and EU Data Protection and Privacy practice.
- Propel Executive provides executive recruitment services for the global digital economy, finding and supplying talent for agencies, corporates and technology businesses. Propel helps companies secure business critical talent and build digital teams from the top down.
- The four ingredients which set Knight Frank apart are their independence, their global network, and their commercial and residential platforms. Through their US alliance with Newmark Grubb Knight Frank, they have grown to a group of over 12,000 property professionals, in more than 370 offices in 55 countries.
SOURCE British Consulate General New York