HOUSTON, Dec. 21, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Home owners around the country are scrambling to finish last-minute holiday preparations, whether they're shopping for gifts, putting the finishing touches on their holiday décor or making travel plans. However, it's also important to prepare the home for common winter safety hazards.
The electricians at Mister Sparky®, part of the Direct Energy family of brands with independently owned and operated locations throughout North America, are sharing simple safety tips to help ensure you and your family stay safe this holiday season.
Follow proper precautions with holiday decorations.
- When using a ladder to put up or take down holiday lights, set the ladder on stable ground, about one foot away from the wall for every four feet the ladder reaches up. Also, it's recommended to use wooden or fiberglass ladders, as metal ladders conduct electricity.
- Avoid running extension cords, wires or strings of lights across driveways, sidewalks, stairs or anywhere they could present a tripping hazard.
Keep yourself warm, yet safe with portable heaters.
- When shopping for a space heater, it's important to consider the safety features of the unit, the size of the area you want to heat and the energy efficiency of the heater.
- Never leave a space heater on when you're not home, and unplug the device when you're not using it. It's also important to keep combustibles at least three feet from the heat source. This can include holiday decorations and curtains.
Be mindful of the increased risk of house fires.
- Heating, holiday decorations, winter storms and candles all contribute to an increased risk of fire during the winter months. Install carbon monoxide and smoke detectors now, if you haven't already.
- Mount smoke alarms high on walls or ceilings. It is recommended that one smoke detector must be placed on every floor of the home, including basements and attics, as well as in every bedroom of the house.
For more winter safety tips, questions about your holiday décor or generic help with your electrical system, contact your local Mister Sparky.
About Mister Sparky®
Mister Sparky® electric is currently ranked by Entrepreneur magazine as one of the top 500 franchise companies (#175) and ranked #1 franchise in the Electrical Services category since 2014. The company has an impeccable record for delivering fast, on-time service, accurate upfront pricing, and an overall pleasant experience for customers. We differentiate ourselves from all other electrical companies by our unique message to the marketplace: Mister Sparky – America's On-Time Electrician®, We're On Time, You'll See, Or The Repair Is Free!®. We have trademarked "on-time" in the electrical industry and we champion it in the marketplace. Mister Sparky is part of the Direct Energy family of brands. Franchised locations are independently owned and operated businesses.
© 2017 Clockwork IP, LLC
About Direct Energy
Direct Energy is one of North America's largest retail providers of electricity, natural gas, and home and business energy-related services with over four million customers. Direct Energy gives customers choice, simplicity, and innovation where energy, data, and technology meet. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE : CNA ), an international energy and services company, Direct Energy, its subsidiaries and/or affiliates, operate in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 4 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
©2017 Clockwork IP, LLC
SOURCE Mister Sparky