LITTLE ROCK, Ark., Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- With potential severe weather, including ice and snowy conditions expected in Arkansas, Verizon Wireless is encouraging drivers to remember emergency preparation and wireless safety. Drivers should use hands-free devices or stay off cell phones while driving, particularly in rainy, snowy or icy weather when roads can be slick and dangerous.
In addition to supporting legislation that requires people who talk while driving to use hands-free devices, Verizon Wireless has also supported bans on texting while driving. In fact, in October, the company launched an awareness campaign, "Don't Text and Drive" to further its long-standing wireless safety message and encourage safe driving habits.
"Cell phones can be a big help in weather emergencies," said Steve Smith, region president for Verizon Wireless. "If you don't have a hands-free device, avoid making calls until you have stopped at a safe location."
Emergency Preparedness Tips
Verizon Wireless, which operates the nation's largest and most reliable 3G network, offers Arkansas residents these emergency preparedness tips for consideration during severe weather and other emergencies:
- Keep wireless phone batteries fully charged, in case local power is lost.
- Have additional charged batteries and car-charger adapters available for back-up power.
- Keep phones, batteries, chargers and other equipment in a dry, accessible location.
- Program phone numbers of family, friends, co-workers and emergency contacts in your phone.
- Distribute wireless phone numbers to family members and friends.
- Forward your home phone calls to your wireless number if you will be away from home.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving 89 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless