GREENBELT, Md., Oct. 28, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- X-energy and South Carolina Electric & Gas Co. (SCE&G) have completed a joint study to examine the technical and economic feasibility of siting an Xe-100 pebble-bed nuclear reactor at a representative site within the SCE&G franchise territory.
The Xe-100 enables a utility to bring its fleet in line with state and federal greenhouse gas mandates with minimal disruption to its existing network, and the small-scale Xe-100 plant allows for smaller upfront capital commitments and lower overall project risks.
- Steve Byrne, President of Generation for SCE&G, said: "The Xe-100 is an exciting and dynamic technology with a number of benefits for any utility's long-range plans. Combined with the high technological readiness of pebble-bed designs, the Xe-100 can make a significant and lasting contribution to a clean energy future in the United States."
- Doug McCuistion, Chief Operating Officer of X-energy, said: "We are so grateful for the opportunity to work with the great folks at SCE&G on this study. The insights gained here will help us continue to make the Xe-100 a reality, and we look forward to further collaboration with SCE&G."
The joint study team found the Xe-100 to be a technically and economically viable option for expansion or replacement of an existing coal-fired power station. Key findings include:
- Variable power output to load follow to as low as 25% power
- Site perimeter designed to be as small as 10 acres that easily allows siting on existing facilities
- Zero emission of regulated greenhouse gases helps comply with regulations in sensitive environments
- Installation on existing sites can leverage current infrastructure and significantly reduce costs and schedule
- Intrinsically safe design could allow for siting close to population centers through reduced emergency planning zones and minimal disruption to surrounding communities.
The executive summary will be available soon at www.x-energy.com.
About X-energy: X-energy is a nuclear engineering design company seeking to significantly improve global quality of life through innovative nuclear technology. X-energy is designing the Xe-100, a pebble-bed reactor that will expand nuclear power into new markets in convenient increments of approximately 50MWe. The versatile, small-scale Xe-100 plant allows for smaller upfront capital commitments and lower overall project risks. X-energy is based in Greenbelt, Maryland.
Marketing & Communications Manager