WASHINGTON, March 4, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Did you know the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has been protecting Americans against unreasonable risks of injury or death from consumer products since 1972? At CPSC, Your Safety is our Business! And National Consumer Protection Week, which runs from March 3-9, 2019, is a great opportunity for us to raise awareness on the lifesaving, free resources CPSC offers to help you make informed decisions about consumer products so you can keep your family safe from harm.
Day #1 Monday, March 4: What We Do for You!
CPSC has jurisdiction over thousands of types of consumer products - everything from smart phones, electronics, toys and more. As an independent federal regulatory agency, CPSC works to protect you and your family from hazardous consumer products by:
- Working with stakeholders such as industry, consumer safety groups and others to develop voluntary standards.
- Promulgating and enforcing mandatory standards.
- Issuing recalls to get dangerous products out of your home and provide a remedy of a refund, repair or replacement of the product.
- Conducting research to get ahead of potential product hazards
- Administering educational campaigns aimed at informing and educating consumers on issues like drowning prevention, anchoring TV's and furniture, baby safety, poison prevention and more!
Day #2 Tuesday, March 5: Report. Search. Protect @ SaferProducts.gov
Check out SaferProducts.gov! SaferProducts.gov is the publicly available Consumer Product Safety Information Database website of CPSC. Here you can report an unsafe consumer product to CPSC online or you can search reports, recalls and repairs for a product, you may have in your home or may be thinking about buying.
Day #3 Wednesday, March 6: Hotline
Want to talk to a live person about your concerns? You can call the CPSC Hotline for product safety related questions @ 800-638-2772 between 8 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. E.T. Monday through Friday.
Day #4 Thursday, March 7: Neighborhood Safety Network (NSN)
NSN is a free online service that provides CPSC's life saving information in the form of posters, videos and email messages to underserved and hard-to-reach consumers. Sign up today and help your community become safety smart! https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Education/Neighborhood-Safety-Network/NSN-Signup-Form
Day #5 Friday, March 8: New CPSC Recall App
In addition to checking for recalls at www.CPSC.gov, you can now download our new Recall App which makes recall information currently on our website more accessible to consumers on their mobile devices. Consumers can use the app to search quickly to find out whether a specific product has been recalled and how to take advantage of the remedy.
Remember all of our resources are FREE. Use them and share them. We are in business to keep you safe!
- Sign up for recall emails for particular product categories.
- Follow CPSC on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter where each recall is announced and important safety information is shared.
- Check out what our federal partners are doing on the safety front. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/national-consumer-protection-week
Be part of the conversation on social media with #NCPW2019!
Media Contact: Karla Crosswhite-Chigbue, 301-504-7805
SOURCE U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission