LINCOLNSHIRE, Ill., Nov. 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Enabling wireless access can be challenging in very large outdoor spaces that are filled with materials wreaking havoc on wireless signals. Zebra Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ZBRA), a global leader in products and services that provide real-time visibility into organizations' assets, people and transactions, has a solution with two new narrowband-enabled industrial mobile computers designed for inventory and asset management in large outdoor environments. The Omnii XT15 handheld mobile computer and the VH10 vehicle-mount computer are now available with narrowband radios and offer backwards-compatibility with the former Psion's existing narrowband wireless gateway and controller.
- Narrowband is a secure, low-bandwidth, long-range wireless network specifically designed to deliver very affordable and dependable digital wireless connectivity for data applications in large outdoor areas. It uses licensed frequencies that customers own and doesn't conflict with other 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless networks.
- Only Zebra can offer a complete narrowband solution comprised of wireless infrastructure, software and mobile computers - providing stronger signal penetration and performance in non-line-of-sight applications such as transmitting data around piles of metal containers in a port or rail yard.
- The narrowband-enabled XT15 and VH10 are ideal for inventory and asset management applications in harsh environments and large areas including seaports, airports, rail yards and manufacturing plants with large outdoor yards.
- Narrowband solutions offer a lower total cost of ownership when large areas need to be covered with data radio technology, compared to Wi-Fi and cellular networks that require more infrastructure to deploy and manage and monthly data costs.
- Zebra's new Narrowband Data Protocol (NDP) software development kit (SDK) enables the creation of a user interface that can support the use of graphical applications that are more intuitive and can increase employee productivity and satisfaction.
- For customers who want to continue to use Terminal Emulation (TE) applications, Zebra's TekTerm TE solution has been enhanced to help create easy-to-use TE applications that can streamline processes and improve worker productivity.
- Zebra acquired Motorola Solutions' Enterprise business in October 2014.
Joe White, senior vice president of mobile computing, Zebra Technologies
"Zebra understands the unique enterprise wireless communications needs of customers. The new narrowband-enabled XT15 handheld mobile computer and VH10 vehicle-mount computer address the specialized wireless requirements of ports, yards and transport facilities. Together, these new offerings, combined with our digital narrowband infrastructure, allow customers to have better performing communications at a much lower operating cost."
About Zebra Technologies
Zebra (NASDAQ: ZBRA) makes businesses as smart and connected as the world we live in. Zebra tracking and visibility solutions transform the physical to digital, creating the data streams enterprises need to simplify operations, know more about their businesses, and empower their mobile workforces. For more information, visit www.zebra.com/possibilities.
©2014 ZIH Corp. Zebra, the Zebra head graphic and Zebra Technologies logo are trademarks of ZIH Corp, registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Industry Analyst Relations Contact:
SOURCE Zebra Technologies Corporation