LINCOLNSHIRE, Ill., Dec. 14, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Zebra Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ZBRA), a global leader in providing solutions and services that give enterprises real-time visibility into their operations, today released the results of the global Zebra Hospitality Vision Study, a body of research that analyzes the hotel/resort industry and trends in travelers' preferences and technology requirements that affect their overall satisfaction.
The study found that changes in consumer expectations for fast WiFi, helpful guest assistants and loyalty rewards have prompted the hospitality industry to invest in technology that enhances the guest experience and provides added convenience for smartphone check-in, location-based offers and services and digitally-enabled loyalty programs.
- To help move staff to mobile computers for more guest interaction, expand location services for guests and deliver reliable wireless access, 77% of hotels/resorts surveyed worldwide are expanding WiFi coverage.
- 66% of guests report they have a better experience when associates use the latest technology and 68% of guests expressed a desire to use their smartphone to speed up check-in.
Customized offers and loyalty programs
- Nearly three-quarters (74%) of guests surveyed appreciate hotels that customize messaging and offers, and 75% are willing to share personal information, such as gender, age and email address, in exchange for tailored promotions, coupons, priority service or loyalty points.
- To create highly customized offers and perks, 74% of surveyed hotels/resorts are planning to implement location-based technologies within the next year – prioritizing guest recognition and analytics, geo-targeted mobile offers and special promotions and upgrades.
- The study shows guests are less comfortable sharing their location than their personal information, though attitudes differ among generations. 34% of Millennials are comfortable sharing their current location compared to 13% of 50- to 64-year-olds.
- Guest recognition is the top driver for location technologies in North America where travelers are least concerned about sharing their location and social media profiles and most willing to use self-service technology.
- Hotels/resorts in Latin America are moving fastest to implement location-based technologies where guests also have the highest expectations for receiving personal attention from hotel/resort assistants.
- Maintaining current guests is the top priority in Europe where travelers are the least likely to belong to loyalty programs.
- In the Asia-Pacific region, offering special promotions and geo-targeting mobile users are the top drivers behind implementing location technologies where guests are influenced most by helpful guest assistants to stay at a hotel/resort.
Survey Background and Methodology
- Nearly 1,200 hotel and resort workers in IT, operations, marketing or guest services and more than 1,680 consumers were surveyed in two separate global studies.
- The first study focused on the hotel/resort industry's views on guest needs, strategic technology and service plans and vision for the future. The second study measured travelers' preferences, technology requirements and opinions on the factors influencing their overall satisfaction at hotels and resorts.
Jeff Schmitz, senior vice president and chief marketing officer, Zebra Technologies
"The hospitality industry is becoming an increasingly competitive market, especially with the proliferation of niche hotels and home rental websites. To continue to attract and delight guests, hotels and resorts are making significant technology investments to enhance hotel services. This includes enabling guests – 92% of whom carry a smartphone – to use their smartphones to do everything from ordering food to receiving text alerts on room readiness and possible upgrades. Although the impact of technology varies by market, digital disruption is changing the way hotels and guests interact in every region. Zebra will continue to deliver guest engagement and staff effectiveness solutions to better serve guests."
With the unparalleled visibility Zebra (NASDAQ: ZBRA) provides, enterprises become as smart and connected as the world we live in. Real-time information – gleaned from visionary solutions including hardware, software and services – gives organizations the competitive edge they need to simplify operations, know more about their businesses and customers, and empower their mobile workers to succeed in today's data-centric world. For more information, visit www.zebra.com or sign up for our news alerts. Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
Industry Analyst Contact:
ZEBRA and the stylized Zebra head are trademarks of ZIH Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2016 ZIH Corp. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
SOURCE Zebra Technologies Corporation