SALT LAKE CITY, March 1, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- For the 14th consecutive year, Alan Shawn Feinstein will divide $1 million among hunger-fighting agencies nationwide, using it to help them raise funds this March and April.
Feinstein's past annual spring $1 million challenges to fight hunger have raised over $1 billion for over 2000 agencies and houses of worship nationwide helping the needy.
"This is a wonderful opportunity for the Salt Lake Community to partner with The Salt Lake City Mission in making this campaign a success in fighting hunger - right here - in our own community," said Rev. Wayne Wilson, Executive Director of The Salt Lake City Mission. "This is something we can get excited about - and challenge everyone to consider matching gifts!"
The million dollars will be divided proportionately among all agencies complying with Foundation Guidelines. The Salt Lake City Mission has successfully participated in this event for the past 13 years!
About Salt Lake City Mission
Established in 1993, The Salt Lake City Mission was set up to help the homeless and poor become independent, productive members of society through a life centered in Jesus Christ. We are committed to helping the needy, all who have a genuine need, regardless of race, creed, religion, age or national origin.
By providing emergency services and long-term recovery programs, we help to meet the physical, mental, educational and spiritual needs of individuals.
During this past year:
- Served over 114,689 meals to the destitute and needy of Utah. Provided Breakfast and a Sack Lunch - Monday-Saturday at Road Home Shelters, serving 8,316 meals a month. Over 61,171 meals this year.
- Held special "All Day Outreaches" at Pioneer Park, on Easter, Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, and on Labor Day, serving over 6,125 hot prepared meals.
- Provided 1,000 Turkey Baskets for Thanksgiving with all the trimmings; served a "Delicious Thanksgiving Dinner" to over 3,000 at "Energy Solutions Arena"; and then on Thanksgiving Day served a "Delicious Thanksgiving Dinner" to over 1,657 at the Christian Life Center.
- Distributed over 2,250 pantry-style meals through food boxes to needy families.
- Provided 1,000 Households with Christmas Boxes. Turkeys, Hams, Trimmings and Toys; on Christmas Day served over 1,875 "Delicious Christmas Dinners." We also distributed over 2,000 wrapped Christmas presents to needy children. On New Year's Day, served 2,240 "Delicious New Year's Meals."
- Provided 6,000 people with over 65,809 pieces of clothing, household goods, furniture and appliances.
- Watched 8 men in our program receive their Associates and 5 men receive their Bachelor's Degrees.
- Conducted more than 3,000 counseling sessions to needy souls. Salt Lake City Street News created over 60 self-employment opportunities for the homeless.
Office: (801) 355-6310
Cell: (801) 637-2622
Salt Lake City Mission
Administration Offices: 320 West 200 South, Suites 120B, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
Men's Home: West Valley City, Utah - Mission Ranch: Lucin, Utah
SOURCE Salt Lake City Mission