HENDERSONVILLE, Tenn., Aug. 30, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- September is National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. National Suicide Prevention Week is September 10 – 16, 2017, beginning with World Suicide Prevention Day on the 10th. During this day and week, individuals and organizations alike will be drawing attention to the problem of suicide and advocating the prevention of this terrible tragedy. Suicide is a national health problem that is also one of the leading causes of preventable death in our nation.
In the United States:
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for our youth ages 10-24.
- Among high school students in the past 12 months, 17.7 percent have seriously considered suicide, 14.6 percent have formulated a plan for how they would take their own lives, and 8.6 percent have attempted suicide.
- Each day in our nation, there are an average of over 3,470 suicide attempts by young people in grades 9-12.
- The suicide rate of youth ages 10 – 14 has more than doubled since 2007.
- Four out of Five teens who attempt suicide have given clear warning signs.
The Jason Foundation, Inc. (JFI) is a national leader in youth suicide awareness and prevention programs targeted to address the "silent epidemic" of youth suicide. JFI believes awareness and education are the first steps to suicide prevention. Through its affiliations, a Triangle of Prevention is established by providing students, parents and teachers the tools and resources to help identify and help at-risk youth. JFI's intention is to empower youth, educators and parents to help recognize when young people are in pain and know to get professional help involved as soon as possible.
All programs and materials are offered at no-cost to those with whom they contract. Since 1997, The Jason Foundation has never charged a school, community, or individual for the use of any of their programs. To find more about the programs offered or where the closest Jason Foundation Affiliate Office is located, visit their website. www.jasonfoundation.com
SOURCE The Jason Foundation, Inc.