LOS ANGELES, April 5, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- In its April issue, published this week, Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry (MD+DI) magazine has announced the winners of the fourteenth annual Medical Design Excellence Awards (MDEA) competition.
Sponsored by MD+DI and organized by UBM Canon, MDEA is the premier awards program for the medical technology community. It recognizes the achievements of medical device manufacturers, their suppliers, and the many people behind the scenes—engineers, scientists, designers, and clinicians—who are responsible for the groundbreaking innovations that are changing the face of healthcare. MDEA-winning entries excel in the areas of product innovation, design and engineering achievement, end-user benefit, and cost-effectiveness in manufacturing and healthcare delivery.
For the first time ever, a Lifetime Achievement Award will also be presented at the MDEA ceremony at MD&M East on June 8, 2011, to an individual whose contributions during a long career had a demonstrable impact on technological, business, and cultural advancements in medical devices.
A comprehensive review of the entries was performed by an impartial, multidisciplinary panel of third-party jurors with expertise in biomedical engineering, human factors, industrial design, medicine, and diagnostics. The 2011 jury selected 37 winners in 10 medical product categories.
2011 MDEA Winning Products and Manufacturers (alphabetical by category):
Critical-care and emergency medicine products
- EV1000 clinical patient monitoring platform (Edwards Lifesciences LLC)
- Lifeline View automated external defibrillator (Defibtech LLC)
- Mindray V Series Patient Monitoring System (Mindray)
Dental instruments, equipment, and supplies
- AcceleDent Orthodontic System (OrthoAccel)
- Orascoptic Freedom cordless LED headlamp for dentists and hygienists (Sybron Middleton)
- Propoint obturation point for use in root canal therapy (DRFP Ltd.)
General hospital devices and therapeutic products
- Compass interchangeable modular system (Herman Miller Healthcare)
- Conveen Active urine collecting bag (Coloplast A/S)
- Encircle Compression Therapy device (The Merino Co. - TMC Apparel)
- Pegasus Safety Closed IV Catheter System (Becton, Dickinson and Co.)
- Pronto-7 handheld noninvasive hemoglobin spot-check testing device (Masimo)
- Radiant Heat Warmer (RHW) 3000 series (Zeal Medical Pvt. Ltd.)
- VeinViewer Vision vascular imaging device (Christie Medical Holdings)
Implant and tissue-replacement products
- Cranial Loop nonmetallic, cranial fixation device for postcraniotomy bone flap fixation (Neos Surgery S.L.)
- JuggerKnot Soft Suture Anchor (Biomet Sports Medicine)
- MitraClip catheter-based mitral valve repair system (Abbott Vascular)
- Triangular Prostatic Stent (TPS) (Allium Medical Solutions Ltd.)
In vitro diagnostics
- cobas b 123 point-of-care blood gas analyzer system (Roche Diagnostics Corp.)
- Integrated Cycler real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) thermocycler (3M and Focus Diagnostics Inc.)
- Leica BOND-III immunohistochemistry (IHC) and in-situ hybridization (ISH) staining system (Leica Biosystems Melbourne Pty. Ltd.)
- MAGPIX versatile multiplexing bioassay platform (Luminex Corp.)
Over-the-counter and self-care products
- Buzzy and Bee-Stractors needle pain relief system (MMJ Labs LLC)
- MalleoLoc ankle orthosis (Bauerfeind AG)
- SpeediCath Compact Male intermittent catheter (Coloplast A/S)
Radiological and electromechanical devices
- Avedro Vedera KXS Vision Correction Device (Avedro)
- LipiView Ocular Surface Interferometer (TearScience)
- Selenia Dimensions tomosynthesis (3D) system (Hologic Inc.)
Rehabilitation and assistive-technology products
- 625 Barrier-Free Examination table (Midmark Corp.)
- Inogen One G2 portable oxygen concentrator (Inogen Inc.)
- Philips Lifeline Medical Alert Service with AutoAlert Option medical monitoring system (Philips Design)
Surgical equipment, instruments, and supplies
- DISTALOCK Intramedullary (IM) Nail and Drill System (DGIMED Ortho Inc.)
- iO-Flex surgical system (Baxano Inc.)
- The Mill powered surgical tool to aid in the preparation of bone graft (Stryker Instruments)
- PleuraFlow active tube clearance system (Xeridiem Medical Devices, formerly MRI Medical)
- Talon grasping device (US Endoscopy)
- UroLift System minimally invasive device (Neotract)
- Venner A.P. Advance Video Laryngoscope (Venner Medical Singapore Pte. Ltd.)
Winning products will receive gold or silver recognition at a ceremony held June 8, 2011 during the Medical Design & Manufacturing (MD&M) East 2011 Conference and Exposition (www.MDMEast.com) at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City.
The MDEA program is presented by UBM Canon with corporate sponsorship provided by major industry supplier, The MedTech Group Inc.
For more information about the Medical Design Excellence Awards—including additional details about the manufacturers and suppliers that created the 2011 MDEA-winning products—visit the MDEA Web site at www.MDEAwards.com or e-mail: [email protected].
SOURCE UBM Canon