30 Aug, 2018, 14:03 ET
WASHINGTON, Aug. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- 77% of U.S. small businesses use social media to facilitate key business functions including sales, marketing and customer service, according to data aggregated by SCORE, the nation's largest network of volunteer, expert business mentors.
Social media usage has grown 58% among U.S. adults in the last 12 years, and is significantly impacting how entrepreneurs conduct business, as well as how current and potential customers behave. 69% of U.S. adults currently use at least one social media site, a figure that has steadily increased over the past decade.
Percentage of U.S. adults who use at least one social media site:
- 2018: 69%
- 2014: 62%
- 2010: 46%
- 2006: 11%
YouTube is the most popular social media channel among three generations:
- 94% of 18 to 24 year olds use YouTube
- 83% of 25 to 29 year olds use YouTube
- 80% of 30 to 49 year olds use YouTube
- 56% of 50+ year olds use YouTube
Facebook is the second most popular social media channel, with 68% of U.S. adults using the social media channel:
- 80% of 18 to 49 year olds use Facebook
- 55% of 50+ year olds use Facebook
77% of U.S. small businesses use social media for key business functions:
- 59% of businesses report that facilitating customer service through social media makes it easier to get issues resolved.
- 44% of businesses report that social media helps to generate brand awareness.
- 41% of businesses depend on social media to drive revenue.
Download this infographic for more information on how social media helps small business owners to find customers and generate sales.
Since 1964, SCORE has helped more than 11 million aspiring entrepreneurs. Each year, SCORE's 10,000 volunteer business experts provide 750,000+ free small business mentoring sessions, workshops and educational services to clients in 300 chapters nationwide. In 2017, SCORE volunteers helped to create 54,506 small businesses and 61,534 non-owner jobs.
For more information about starting or operating a small business, visit SCORE at www.score.org. Follow @SCOREMentors on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest small business news and updates.
Share this article