CABOT, Vt., Dec. 14, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- So many of us feel stressed this time of year. Life can reach a fever pitch during the holidays and expectations can run particularly high for New Year's Eve. This might be the perfect year for a more low-key celebration. A casual potluck gathering with close friends can take the pressure off everyone and is gentler on the wallet. That's why Cabot Creamery Cooperative, best known as "Makers of the World's Best Cheddar," is providing two delicious and innovative recipes that are perfect for any New Year's Eve get-together.
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20090918/NE78286LOGO )
"New Year's Eve is such a versatile Holiday because there are so many ways to celebrate," says Candace Karu, Cabot Creamery's Lifestyle Commentator and Favorite Foodie. "Here are a few ideas to help you have a happy, healthy New Year's Eve:
- If you're entertaining and are strapped for time to prepare hors d'oeuvres, a beautifully constructed cheese tray is easy and elegant. You can offer your guests a variety of cheeses, along with tasty accompaniments: fresh fruit like apples, pears, or grapes and dried fruits like apricots or cranberries pair beautifully with many kinds of cheese, as do nuts like almonds or hazelnuts. Add a crusty sliced baguette or an assortment of crackers and your ready for the countdown.
- No matter where you plan to party, it's always fun to play "Guess the Resolution." Have each guest write down his or her resolution and put it in a bowl. Read each resolution aloud and have everyone guess who might have made it.
- Will children be part of your New Year's Eve festivities? How about planning a special meal that everyone can help prepare? There are lots of great family-friendly recipes at http://www.cabotcheese.coop/recipes. Afterward, games like Scrabble or Pictionary or motion-control games like Wii or Kinect can help make it a party everyone will love.
- Make a playlist for your party and dance the night away or sing along to oldies or Broadway show tunes.
- If you do decide to go out, celebrate responsibly. Try to drink a glass of water between each cocktail. You'll feel better all night and wake up happier, too. Don't forget to designate a driver before the party starts.
- Not everyone's a night owl. Don't feel bad if you want to head off to bed early. Why not begin the New Year by taking the family for a run, walk or hike? Gathering at home for a celebratory brunch will add a festive air to the start of 2011.
"If you plan to pot-luck this year, Cabot has you covered with two unique and tasty recipes," continues Candace. "For a new take on a perennial favorite, treat your guests to our savory, sweet and spicy Butternut Squash, Cranberry and Cabot Habanero Cheddar Wontons. Or, for a more traditional - and extremely delicious - finger food, try our Asparagus-Prosciutto Rolls with Cabot Tomato Basil Cheddar Cheese. But most important, as you look around the room and see your family and friends enjoying the great food and holiday celebration, remember to count your blessings on the countdown to the New Year."
For more New Year's Eve inspired recipes for your next get-together, visit http://www.cabotcheese.coop/recipes.
1 small butternut squash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds; sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Place cut-side-up in baking dish. Add 2 cups water and cover dish tightly with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Scoop about 3/4 cup of flesh into mixing bowl, reserving rest for another use. Stir in cheese and cranberries. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Arrange wonton skins on work surface. Place about 1/2 tablespoon of filling in center of each. Brush two edges with water, fold in half to make triangle and press to seal.
- In heavy saucepan or deep fryer, heat oil to 350 degrees; fry wontons in batches until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with Sesame-Cranberry dipping sauce.
Sesame-Cranberry Dipping Sauce
- Stir together all ingredients.
Calories 281, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 2g, Sodium 531mg, Carbohydrates 45g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Protein 9g, Calcium 111mg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Have bowl of ice water on hand.
- In pot of boiling, salted water, cook asparagus for one minute. Transfer to ice water with slotted spoon. Once cool, transfer to paper towels to drain; pat dry.
- Lay first phyllo sheet on cutting board; brush entire surface with melted butter. Top with next phyllo sheet and brush with butter; repeat with remaining two sheets. Cut into 12 smaller rectangles.
- Place one piece of prosciutto and cheddar on each rectangle. Place asparagus spears on top with tips extending beyond edges. Roll phyllo up around asparagus and brush with additional butter.
- Place rolls on baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm.
Calories 227, Total Fat 16g, Saturated Fat 9g, Sodium 989mg, Carbohydrates 5g, Dietary Fiber <1g, Protein 15g, Calcium 202mg
ABOUT CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVE
Cabot Creamery Cooperative has been in continuous operation in Vermont since 1919, and we make a full line of cheeses, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, and butter. Best known as makers of "The World's Best Cheddar," Cabot is owned by 1200 dairy farm families located throughout New England and upstate New York. For additional information on Cabot Creamery, visit http://www.cabotcheese.coop
Available Topic Expert(s): For information on the listed expert(s), click appropriate link.
Contact: Bob Schiers
(888) 214.9444 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Cabot Creamery Cooperative