WASHINGTON, Dec. 19, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The American Chemistry Council's North American Flame Retardant Alliance (NAFRA), a group that represents manufacturers of flame retardants, launched an effort today in support of home fire safety over the holidays. The campaign, Celebrate Safely, comes in response to an annual increase in home fires during the winter holiday season.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, there are over 104,000 fires each year during the winter holidays, claiming 890 lives and $2 billion in property damage. Candle fires are 4 times more likely to occur during winter holidays, compared to the rest of the year, according to the American Red Cross, and on average 210 home fires start with Christmas trees each season.
"The good news is that there are steps families can take to reduce the risk of holiday fires," said Robert Simon, Vice President at the American Chemistry Council. "The Celebrate Safely campaign will offer tips that every family can, and should, do to improve their fire safety over the holidays."
The Celebrate Safely campaign will run throughout the month of December and into early January, and it will focus on five tips to stay safe:
- Decorate Safely. Choose decorations that carry a UL or CSA label, indicating that they have been tested for fire safety. The American Red Cross recommends placing Christmas trees and holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, heaters, and candles.
- Cook Safely. Keep things that can catch fire, such as oven mitts, towels, and wooden utensils, away from stoves and ranges.
- Observe Safely. Make sure to blow out lit candles when you leave the room and keep your Christmas tree hydrated.
- Play Safely. Keep matches and lighters out of reach from children and in locked cabinets and be mindful of the fire safety of individual products.
- Entertain Safely. Make sure guests know about fire exits, be mindful of crowds near open flame sources, and make sure smoke detectors are working properly.
These tips and more can be found on a new website devoted to the campaign: www.celebratesafelycampaign.com
Throughout the campaign, NAFRA (@AMChemistry) will be using Twitter to share additional tips on how to stay safe from fires during the holiday season. NAFRA will be using the hashtag #CelebrateSafely and invite individuals around the country to take part in the conversation.
About The North American Flame Retardant Alliance
The American Chemistry Council's North American Flame Retardant Alliance (NAFRA) supports a robust and transparent regulatory system that provides both strong fire protection and chemical safety. NAFRA's members represent the cutting edge of fire safety chemistry and technology and are dedicated to protecting consumers through the safe and effective use of flame retardants. Our work includes:
- Conducting original, peer-reviewed research;
- Enhancing awareness of fire safety and the efficacy of flame retardants;
- Supporting risk-based policies and regulations based on sound science; and
- Establishing constructive dialogue with flame retardant users and other stakeholders.
NAFRA's members represent the world's leading producers and users of a variety of flame retardants. Membership is open to producers, distributors and companies that use flame retardants in their own equipment or product, and related trade associations.
- Albemarle Corporation
- Great Lakes Solutions, A Chemtura Business
- ICL Industrial Products
More information at: http://flameretardants.americanchemistry.com
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/acc-and-nafra-launch-celebrate-safely-campaign-to-improve-holiday-fire-safety-300380095.html
SOURCE The North American Flame Retardant Alliance (NAFRA)