SAN JOSE, Calif., April 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Using the ZON™ M3 (MAX71315) single-phase electricity meter SoC from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM), engineers now have a highly accurate, low-cost design system for e-meters and solid-state meters.
Superior metering metrology is essential for accurate monitoring and billing. Additionally, meter manufacturers must consider cost in their designs, as millions of meters are being deployed throughout the globe. The ZON M3 energy-meter solution integrates four 24-bit ADCs for 4-channel data collection and +/-0.1% measurement accuracy over 5000:1 dynamic range. A 32-bit metrology compute engine (CE) ensures high-accuracy processing of all collected data. Its two touch-switch inputs eliminate mechanical switches and improve user experience, and its infrared (IR) communications interface eliminates the typical extra IR receiver module. All the high integration reduces cost and improves user experience.
- Superior metering accuracy: +/-0.1% over 5000:1 dynamic range
- High integration:integrated touch-switch inputs and IR communications improve user experience and reduce system cost; multiple interfaces (SPI, I2C, and 4 USART) for design versatility; real-time clock (RTC) with temperature compensation and digital temperature sensor for highly accurate temperature compensation; ample Flash and RAM memory for long-term service
- High performance:a 32-bit metrology CE ensures high-accuracy processing of all collected data
- "The ZON M3 electricity meter SoC is the perfect answer for residential market challenges," said Gregory Guez, Business Director for Energy Solutions at Maxim Integrated. "It enables high accuracy and reduces BOM cost for e-meters, submeters, and solid-state meters around the globe."
- "New technical standards will enhance smart meter technology and may even revolutionize the whole value chain, from chip design to meter manufacturing," said Julia Zhu, Senior Analyst at IHS China. "The two cornerstones of the new standard, performance and reliability, will be key to making a difference in the smart meter market."
Availability and Pricing
- The ZON M3 electricity meter is available in a 100-pin LQFP package.
- Pricing starts at $2.81 (1000-up, FOB USA).
About Maxim Integrated
At Maxim Integrated, our designs make the world more integrated. And with analog integration, the possibilities are endless. In Fiscal 2013, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
ZON is a trademark of Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.