SUNNYVALE, Calif., July 26, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- AffordableSchools.net (http://affordableschools.net) -- a college rankings site centering on unique and affordable academic programs -- announced the release of its newest online masters programs rankings list, featuring the 25 Most Affordable Online Master's of Accounting Degrees.
The top three schools on this AffordableSchools.net's rankings list are: (1) American Public University System (Charles Town, West Virginia); (2) University of Massachusetts-Lowell (Lowell, Massachusetts); (3) Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, Utah). The complete list of all 25 U.S. colleges and universities, in alphabetical order, comprises:
* American Public University System (Charles Town, West Virginia)
* Baker College (Flint, Michigan)
* Bellevue University (Bellevue, Nebraska)
* Brenau University (Gainesville, Georgia)
* California Baptist University (Riverside, California)
* Concordia University-Wisconsin (Mequon, Wisconsin)
* Davenport University (Grand Rapids, Michigan)
* Friends University (Wichita, Kansas)
* Gardner-Webb University (Boiling Springs, North Carolina)
* Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, Arizona)
* Indiana Wesleyan University-Marion (Marion, Indiana)
* Liberty University (Lynchburg, Virginia)
* National University (La Jolla, California)
* Post University (Waterbury, Connecticut)
* Regis University (Denver, Colorado)
* Saint Joseph's College of Maine (Standish, Maine)
* Saint Leo University (Saint Leo, Florida)
* University of Hartford (West Hartford, Connecticut)
* University of Maryland-University College (Adelphi, Maryland)
* University of Massachusetts-Lowell (Lowell, Massachusetts)
* University of Scranton (Scranton, Pennsylvania)
* Walden University (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
* Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, Utah)
* Western International University (Tempe, Arizona)
* Wilmington University (New Castle, Delaware)
"Accountants are sometimes perceived as being straight-laced, fiscally-conservative people who oversee a business' financial numbers, but they play very important roles in the fiscal health of business and government entities," said the article's lead researcher, Raj Dash. "It is an in-demand profession, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) -- by for-profit and nonprofit businesses, as well as government agencies -- with an expected 11% jobs growth prediction just for the Auditor and Accountant roles collectively (2014 to 2024). Of course, there are dozens of accounting-related careers beyond those roles.
"With proposed changes such as a switch from the U.S. GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) to IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standards) in play for leases, having advanced skills in accounting opens up career opportunities. Add to this other issues such as forensic accounting and fraud examination, SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley) compliance, international business agreements, etc. The fact is, there are some critical or at least very important, possibly lesser-known accounting roles beyond the arguably more well-known CPA (Certified Public Accountant) and CMA (Certified Management Accounting) designations. Several of these roles have their own professional certifications, including CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner), CFM (Certified in Financial Management), CGMA (Chartered Global Management Accountant) and CIA (Certified Internal Auditor).
"Of course, advanced skills require an advanced degree. A master's degree in accounting supplements an existing bachelor's in accounting, and choosing an online program adds convenience for a currently working professional. This college rankings article ranks 25 of the most affordable online masters degrees in accounting in the United States -- whether 100% fully online or offered in a hybrid form that involves some on-campus presence."
College rankings for this article were compiled with data from NCES (National Center for Education Statistics), a bureau of the Dept. of Education (http://nces.ed.gov/). We queried for graduate institutions that grant degrees in Accounting on a distance basis, filtered out colleges that are based in U.S. protectorate nations, sorted by increasing out-of-state tuition, filtered out doctoral-only and certificate-only colleges, and filtered for active online masters degree programs. This resulted in our list of the 25 most affordable masters programs in accounting. Similar topical rankings will be published at AffordableSchools (http://affordableschools.net) -- a college search and rankings site with a focus on affordable colleges and programs -- on a regular basis.