NEW YORK, Aug. 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Everyone loves a deal and now, the fastest growing website devoted to all things African, Africa.com is launching its own social coupon web site with exceptional values for anyone who's passionate about Africa. The first deal features heavily discounted airline tickets between New York and Lagos aboard Arik Air.
In addition, during the month of August, anyone who signs up as an inaugural Africa.comDEALS member will be entered in a contest to win prizes, which include a grand prize of a pair of round-trip tickets from New York to Lagos on Arik Air -- or $500 in cash. The winners will be announced in September.
Here's how Africa.comDEALS works:
- You sign up to become a member of the Africa.comDEALS network by clicking on http://deals.africa.com
- Each week, you'll receive a notice about a steeply discounted (usually 50 percent) product or service.
- If enough people sign up for the deal, you'll receive a voucher that can be redeemed through the Africa.comDEALS partner.
- And, you can do good by doing well. Africa.comDEALS is committed to donating a portion of the profits from each deal to an African charity.
"Africa.com's mission is to change the way the world sees Africa and to be the online platform for that change," said CEO Teresa Clarke. "Recognizing the strong ties that Africa.com's visitors have to the continent and all things African, it was only natural that we would design a group buying site to bring amazing bargains on the things that mean the most to them."
For members, Africa.comDEALS provides:
- Phenomenal bargains on things of importance to members: discounted air fares to Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa and other African destinations; hotels, car rentals, traveler health insurance, international calling cards, cellphones and cellphone services, money transfers, theater/music/sports events, museum memberships, subscriptions, fashion, restaurants, wine, food (coffee, chocolate, etc.), even hair styling.
- A platform to share terrific deals with friends and family; and
- A chance to send a message to the marketplace about the power and size of Africa-related buying power.
- Unique access to a growing and increasingly wealthy market niche, the African diaspora;
- The African Development Bank and the World Bank report that the African diaspora currently includes 30 million people. Members of the diaspora sent some $40 billion home to Africa in 2010, making these remittances the continent's second largest source of foreign inflows.
- The opportunity (if so desired) to collaborate on the design of your deal;
- Easy and quick distribution of proceeds; and
- Participating in Africa.comDEALS won't preclude your partnering with another social coupon website.
According to Frank Webb, Africa.com's director of business development, "The African diaspora includes some of the most affluent, best educated people in the world. At Africa.com, we are excited to be bringing this community together through Africa.comDEALS. We're equally thrilled to be providing a taste of Africa to the ever-growing audience of non-Africans, who are simply fascinated by Africa itself. What's more, we'll be helping our members save a lot of money and donating to African charities at the same time. What a win-win!"
About Africa.com: Africa.com is the fastest growing Africa-related internet site with 1 million+ unique visitors each month from around the world. Visitors have access to financial, political and cultural news, maps, information about world-wide events and non-profit organizations related to Africa as well as views from opinion-leaders.
Africa.com has partnered with a number of best-in-class content providers including the Council on Foreign Relations, Foreign Affairs and HAND/EYE Magazine, McKinsey and Co., Freedom House and the Mo Ibrahim Foundation. Additional partnerships will be announced shortly.
Contact: Jacqueline Adams