NEW YORK, March 22, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The top dogs in the nation were crowned from an overall entry of more than 1,600 this weekend at the American Kennel Club® (AKC®) National Agility Championship, AKC National Obedience Championship and AKC Rally National Championship held in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
"The winners of these Championship events are truly the best in their sport across the country and we're proud to celebrate the accomplishments of these talented dogs and dedicated handlers," said Doug Ljungren, AKC Vice President of Sports and Events. "The events showcase the human-canine bond and what can be accomplished with training."
AKC National Agility Championship
AKC National Agility Champions
Placing first in their height division (8", 12", 16", 20", 24" and 26" respectively) were:
- 8" – MACH5 Aerilee's Like Never Before MXC MJB2 XF T2B2 ("Wren"), a Papillon handled by Betsey Lynch
- 12" – MACH2 My-T-Hi Impossible Dream MXG MJG OF T2B ("Kaemon"), a Shetland Sheepdog handled by Kory Kaye
- 16" – MACH4 Excel Smart Move BN RN HSAs MXC MJB2 XF T2B ("Smart"), a Border Collie handled by Kate Moureaux
- 20" – NAC Solar Hops For Joy RN MX MXJ MJB XF T2B ("Hops"), a Border Collie handled by Sarah Baker
- 24" – NAC MACH3 Roo! CD MXG MJC ("Roo"), an All-American Dog handled by Stacey Campbell
- 26" – MACH2 Pay It Forward MXG MJG XF T2B2 ("Relay"), a Border Collie handled by Melissa Henning
AKC Preferred National Agility Champions
Placing first in their height divisions (4", 8", 16" and 20" respectively) were:
- 4" – MACH3 Jay P's Raven Of Chatabout RA MXG MJG MXP2 MJP2 MXF MFB TQX "Raven," a Poodle handled by Courtney Moore
- 8" – MACH6 Taylormade Spectacular Light MXG2 MJC2 MXP2 MJP MXF MFB TQX T2B "Spec," a Shetland Sheepdog handled by Jean Lavalley
- 16" – MACH3 Stargate's Crosstown Classic MXB2 MJC MXP2 MJP NF T2B "Rival," an Australian Shepherd handled by Barbara Cote
- 20" – Luxe CD NA NAJ MXP MJP CGC "Lux," a German Shepherd Dog handled by Michaela Krohn
AKC National Obedience Championship
The 2016 AKC National Obedience Champion is:
OTCH High Times Hit The Ground Run'N UDX OM1 JH "Streak," a Golden Retriever owned by Bridget Carlsen of Yorkville, IL.
NAC OTCH MACH6 Chiron Incyta More Smarts UDX5 OGM MXG2 MJG2 MXF MFB TQX T2B "Smartie," a Belgian Tervuren owned by Julie Hill of Mandeville, LA.
OTCH Zingin Southern Comfort OM1 JH "Callie," a Labrador Retriever owned by Evelyn Boyd Schmidt and John Schmidt of Lindon, UT.
OTCH HC Darkside's Broadway Play Bill UDX3 OM5 RN TD HXAs "Bill," a Border Collie owned by Gayle Echevarria of Strasburg, VA.
AKC Rally® National Championship
The 2016 AKC Rally® National Champion (winner of the Rally Advanced Excellent Class) is: Duq'wood's Brand New Start UD BN GO RAE NJP "Brandy," a Belgian Tervuren owned by Gail Brown of Broken Arrow, OK.
Rally Excellent: Sunchase's Simply Lightning Strikes Twice UDX RE MX MXB MXJ MJB OF CA CGCA "Ravynne," a Boxer owned by Tracy Hendrickson and Rhoda Brouillette of Broken Arrow, OK.
Rally Advanced: Sealite Switcheroo CDX BN PCD RA "Switch," a Border Collie owned by Judy Ramsey of Spring, TX.
Rally Novice: Sunchase's Spin The Bottle BN PCD RN OA OAJ CGCA "Blayke," a Boxer owned by Tracy Hendrickson and Rhoda Brouillette of Broken Arrow, OK.
About the American Kennel Club
Founded in 1884, the American Kennel Club is a not-for-profit organization, which maintains the largest registry of purebred dogs in the world and oversees the sport of purebred dogs in the United States. The AKC is dedicated to upholding the integrity of its registry, promoting the sport of purebred dogs and breeding for type and function. Along with its more than 5,000 licensed and member clubs and its affiliated organizations, the AKC advocates for the purebred dog as a family companion, advances canine health and well-being, works to protect the rights of all dog owners and promotes responsible dog ownership. More than 22,000 competitions for AKC-registered purebred dogs are held under AKC rules and regulations each year including conformation, agility, obedience, rally, tracking, herding, lure coursing, coonhound events, hunt tests, field and earthdog tests. Affiliate AKC organizations include the AKC Humane Fund, AKC Canine Health Foundation, AKC Reunite and the AKC Museum of the Dog. For more information, visit www.akc.org.
AKC, American Kennel Club, the American Kennel Club seal and design, and all associated marks and logos are trademarks, registered trademarks and service marks of The American Kennel Club, Inc.
Become a fan of the American Kennel Club on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter @AKCDogLovers
SOURCE American Kennel Club