WACO, Texas, March 31, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Winter Storm Stella provided much of the U.S. with one more dose of frigid temperatures, and as homeowners continue to set furnaces on high, Aire Serv is sharing tips to protect homes from what many refer to as the silent killer - carbon monoxide.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that more than 20,000 Americans visit the emergency room yearly for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. The gas is colorless and odorless, making it otherwise unnoticeable without a carbon monoxide detector. While high-level exposure can cause permanent damage or even death, even low concentrations can be harmful enough to a household's indoor air quality.
"Carbon monoxide can be produced from any system or appliance that burns fuel. While all home appliances are designed to vent properly to the exterior, cracks or blockages can cause leaks into the home," said Steve Truett, president of Aire Serv. "That's why Aire Serv stresses the importance of scheduling annual maintenance for all equipment including furnaces, water heaters and space heaters. Routine upkeep and other preventative measures, such as installing carbon monoxide detectors throughout the home, can help ensure the health and safety of the entire household."
Aire Serv recommends installing carbon monoxide detectors on or near the ceiling of every floor of the home, especially outside of bedrooms. Other considerations to keep in mind when placing detectors:
- If a vehicle is left running in the garage, the dangerous gas can build up inside the home. Place the detector within a few feet of the internal door to the garage.
- Avoid placing detectors in places that receive direct sunlight, or near open windows or other areas where there is a strong draft.
- Though detectors are meant to alert homeowners when there is a leak in a fuel-burning appliance, it's important to place them at least 15 feet away to prevent a false alarm.
Aire Serv offers premium residential and commercial services for every type of heating and cooling system. Home services, which include heating and air conditioner repair, replacement and maintenance, are charged by the job and not by the hour. In addition, Aire Serv conveniently offers 24-hour emergency heating and air conditioning repair and service to its residential and commercial customers. For more information about Aire Serv and its HVAC services, please visit AireServ.com.
About Aire Serv®:
Established in 1992, Aire Serv is a global franchise organization providing installation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and indoor air quality systems. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500," Aire Serv franchisees provide services to both residential and commercial customers from more than 180 locations worldwide. Aire Serv is part of Dwyer Group family of service franchises. For more information or to find the location nearest you, visit AireServ.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/aire-serv-shares-tips-to-prevent-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-300432574.html
SOURCE Aire Serv