ORANGE, Calif. and SEATTLE, March 24, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Alane Adams, author and founder of Alane Adams Studios, and Artifact Technologies announced BattleKasters, a spell-casting adventure launching this spring at fancons across the U.S. The downloadable mobile game, an extension of Adams' Norse mythology-based Legends of Orkney™ book series, turns live events into dynamic game boards, allowing questing players to collect digital trading cards and cast magic spells that literally change the state of the game for everyone playing. Fantasy illustrator Dave Dorman, best known for his Star Wars artwork, is creating original art for BattleKasters, which players of the game can win.
"As a storyteller, my challenge is to deliver experiences that will trigger people's imagination in new ways," said Adams. "BattleKasters brings my Legends of Orkney series to life at fancons and provides an innovative and immersive experience for attendees."
BattleKasters leverages Artifact Technologies' proprietary Mixby™ platform, which uses location-aware technology to unlock rich experiences for users within range of specific hotspots where content can be acquired. For players of BattleKasters, that means discovering an array of interactive quests throughout event spaces such as fancons and other gathering places. Players who download the game are challenged to a race against time to cast the spells that will close a portal – the stonefire –between realms to prevent dangerous dark magic from seeping into the Earth realm.
"The emergence of location-based technology opens up entirely new opportunities for gaming and interactive storytelling," said Brent Friedman, BattleKasters Lead Game Designer and Co-founder of Artifact Technologies. "We're excited to work with a forward-thinking author like Alane, who sees the potential this platform represents to fans of her books and mobile gaming in general."
BattleKasters was created by Brent Friedman, with illustrations from Lead Artist, Jonathan Stroh.
To help guide the development of BattleKasters, Adams and Artifact have assembled an advisory board made up of experts in the fields of education, gaming, publishing and transmedia. The board includes:
- Alane Adams, author, social entrepreneur, CEO of Alane Adams Studios and founder of the Rise Up Foundation, whose philanthropy efforts focus on organizations and initiatives that help families and children.
- Gordon Bellamy, former exec director of IGDA, with two decades of experience and leadership in the interactive entertainment industry.
- Peter Deutschman, Chief Buddy of digital engagement authority The Buddy Group, whose career has been at the convergence of marketing, storytelling and connected technology.
- Brent Friedman, co-founder of Artifact Technologies, award-winning creator, writer and producer, with more than 25 years of experience in entertainment across all platforms.
- Joe Heally, accomplished producer for projects ranging from independent films to cable and broadcast network programming.
- Mitch Lusas, entrepreneurial, award-winning creative director and producer of apps, games, transmedia experiences, and scripted projects.
- John Nee, CEO of Cryptozoic Entertainment, a premier developer and publisher of original and licensed board games, card games, comics and trading cards.
- Dr. Pamela Rutledge, Director of the Media Psychology Research Center, author, consultant and educator on the social and behavioral implications of media and technology
- Rob Salkowitz, writer, consultant, author of Comic-Con and the Business of Pop Culture, faculty at the University of Washington CommLead program and expert in digital media as it relates to business, culture and entertainment.
Fans can get a sneak preview of BattleKasters later this week at Emerald City Comicon, being held at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle March 27-29. Brent Friedman will give a short demonstration of the game during his panel talk on The Future of Fandom Conventions (Hall F TCC 304, Sunday, March, 29, 2:30PM - 3:20PM). Artwork from Dave Dorman and Lead BattleKasters Artist, Jonathan Stroh, will be on display in the Gaming Area (WSCC Level 2). Attendees can enter a daily drawing to win autographed BattleKasters art from Dorman. Net proceeds from the art and Legends of Orkney™ series will go toward improving literacy. The first book of the series, The Red Sun, is available for pre-order at www.AlaneAdams.com. More updates on the release of BattleKasters can be found at www.BattleKasters.com.
Advance Praise for The Red Sun: Legends of Orkney the Book Series That Inspired BattleKasters:
"A high fantasy tale that maintains a quick pace…"
"Percy Jackson Meets Norse Mythology In This Captivating Adventure… Alane Adams weaves a rollicking tale of adventure, filled with magic and mayhem, in The Red Sun, first in the Legends of Orkney series…The Red Sun is a great choice for teens and young readers who enjoy lots of action and a healthy dose of fantasy mixed in with substitute teachers and pop quizzes." – Foreword Reviews
"This is the sort of adventure story that will keep children glued to the book."
An IBPA Benjamin Franklin Award Finalist in the Best New Voice: Children's/Young Adult category
About Alane Adams
(Wendy) Alane Adams is a social entrepreneur, philanthropist, professor and award-winning author. After retiring from a successful business career, Adams founded the Rise Up Foundation, which focuses on creating collaborations to empower people to make lasting changes in their lives with a special emphasis on improving literacy in children. A believer in the power of transmedia storytelling, Adams founded Alane Adams Studios to create more interactive, immersive experiences for readers of her books.
About Artifact Technologies
Artifact Technologies is a Seattle-based software development company specializing in location-based technologies. A pioneer in content-rich beacon programming and integration, Artifact Technologies partners with major event organizers, attractions and entertainment and education industry leaders to build world-class experiences. The company's proprietary Mixby™ platform connects the physical and mobile environments, driving deeper engagement and bringing more value to the audience experience.
Publicity contact: Crystal Patriarche, BookSparks
[email protected] | 480.650.1688
Video - http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/origin/multivu_archive/PRNA/ENR/FX-LA61186-20150324-1.mp4
Video - http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/origin/multivu_archive/PRNA/ENR/FX-LA61186-20150324-2.mp4
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20150322/183608
SOURCE Alane Adams