NEW YORK, April 1, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- American Jewish Committee (AJC) is providing $150,000 in support of efforts to aid victims of the COVID-19 pandemic and to support medical teams.
"As the pandemic spreads, straining precious medical resources, assisting those on the frontlines of care and research is imperative," said AJC CEO David Harris. "To save a life, a core Jewish value, is critically important in this time of a global health crisis. Each of us must do whatever we can. I only wish we could do more at the present time."
The recipients of the AJC donations are:
- Health Research, Inc., affiliated with the New York State Department of Health, to support the NYS COVID-19 response, and help purchase life-saving equipment for the state with, by far, the highest number of confirmed cases. The donation is made in honor of Governor Andrew Cuomo's laudable leadership, which has garnered both local and national acclaim during the crisis.
- Elmhurst Hospital, in Queens, New York, for purchasing life-saving equipment. Serving one of the most diverse communities in the United States, the hospital has become a tragic epicenter of the deadly impact of the disease. The donation is made in honor of Congresswoman Grace Meng of Queens, who has steadfastly called out for medical supplies to enable the hospital to respond to the Coronavirus.
- MIGAL Galilee Research Institute, located in Kiryat Shmona, Israel, which is working to develop medical responses for COVID-19. The world looks to Israeli cutting-edge research to help in the search for solutions.
- The government of Italy, through a special campaign, #ItalyStayStrong, set up by its embassy in Washington, D.C. Italy has had the highest number of fatalities from COVID-19 of any country in the world. AJC has long had a representative in Rome.
- The Jewish community of Italy, with which AJC has close relations, to provide humanitarian relief for a population hard-hit by the pandemic.
The support is made possible by AJC's Robert and Harriet Heilbrunn Humanitarian Fund, as well as Stephne and Kerrin Behrend. Ms. Behrend is the current President of the AJC Westchester/Fairfield regional office.
SOURCE American Jewish Committee