COLLIERVILLE, Tenn., Oct. 26, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The new American Public Education Foundation (APEF) is profiled in the National edition of Comcast Newsmakers®, in an "Education and Engaged Citizenship" segment featuring APEF President and Co-founder David A. Pickler. The 5-minute interview airs publicly online and across the U.S. on Comcast (subscribers only) now through January 31, 2016. The home page of the APEF website – www.theapef.org - also airs the thought leader segment.
"We operate against a 'big tent' mindset – if you are a public education advocate ready to inspire the next generation, partner with APEF," said American Public Education Foundation President David A. Pickler. "APEF is a 'hub' where community leaders, corporations, and individuals who support public education can join forces to ensure that every child in America – regardless of zip code – gains access to a world-class education and becomes an engaged citizen."
"Public education," declares Pickler in his Comcast interview, "is America." Public education is the single largest employer in America, servicing over 6.2 million employees. Today, nine out of 10 school-age children attend America's public schools – 54 million in total. The APEF gives voice to this "silent majority" of our nation's youth, serving as their public champion.
The APEF operates across a wide spectrum – service learning, leadership training, and thought leadership – also operating the nation's first-ever "pro-public" education APEF Speakers Bureau, with deeply discounted speakers' fees and a pro-bono program for schools and communities in need.
Current and annual APEF-9/12 Generation Project service learning projects include:
- Operation Sending Hope (Nov. – Dec. 31, 2015). Military boys and girls often face serious bullying issues as they move from school-to-school. This movement asks students to send videotaped 15-30 second "Messages of Hope" to students of military families who may be without a parent for the holidays.
- Presidential Election Student Engagement Program (Jan. – mid-Oct. 2016). Free resources will be available in Spanish including a full curriculum on the electoral process in the U.S. All 50 states will be profiled. In mid-October, APEF will hold a National Student Election Straw Poll in schools nationwide.
- Star-Spangled Banner Movement (Sept. 9. 2016). This APEF signature event offers a free, full and rich curriculum that teaches students the words, meaning, music and history of our National Anthem. In 2015, the event:
- Engaged over 277,000 students, teachers, and administrators
- Set a World Record
- Drew key dignitaries such as Senators Jack Reed (D-RI), John McCain (R-AZ), and Lindsey Graham (R-SC), with key endorsers that included Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) and Governors Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) and Bill Haslam (R-TN)
In 2016, a host of sites across America – including select National Park sites – will join together in patriotism, pride and song on Friday, Sept. 9, 2016, 10 am PST/1 pm EST.
Learn more about APEF programs, services and initiatives at www.theapef.org
About APEF: The American Public Education Foundation (APEF) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to help educate, inspire and lead with all those involved in public education and prepare the next generation of leaders for engaged citizenship. APEF was founded by nationally recognized education leaders to help ensure America's economic and national security interests through public education.
- The 9/12 Generation Project is the service-learning division of APEF. The project offers free educational resources that support Character Education and anti-bullying curriculum by teaching the following core values: Compassion, citizenship, kindness, diversity, volunteerism, and overcoming tragedy through hope.
APEF passionately and profoundly believes in the power of public education. Take action at www.theapef.org
Pickler Wealth Advisors
SOURCE American Public Education Foundation