NEW YORK, June 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Analysis of the North American Oral Solid Drug Dosage Excipients Market
Blockbuster Drug Patent Expiration Expected to Boost Market Growth
Excipients are used to support the delivery of the APIs (active pharmaceutical ingredients) through oral dosage, parenteral, and transdermal medications. For oral dosages, the key delivery forms are tablets and capsules. This research service covers the North American oral solid drug dosage excipients market. Based on functionality, excipients are segmented as follows: binders and fillers, disintegrants, coatings, flavors, colors, sweeteners, glidants, adhesives, lubricants, and others. Units are defined in terms of tons. Unit shipment forecasts are based on the volume of excipients used in oral solid drug dosage formulations. The base year for the study is 2012, with a market history from 2009 and a forecast through 2019.
• The North American oral solid drug dosage excipient market generated a revenue of $X million in 2012. Revenue is expected to increase to $X million in 2019, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of X% from 2012 to 2019.
• The binders and fillers segment held the highest market share in terms of revenue (X% in 2012).
• In 2012, superdisintegrants accounted for a X% market share in terms of revenue and are expected to grow the fastest, at a CAGR of X% from 2012 to 2019.
• The market is driven by high patent expirations during the forecast period, which will intensify the demand from pharmaceutical formulators. However, imports of generics from low-cost countries hinder growth.
• The total solid drug dosage excipient market is highly fragmented, as key participants differ for each chemistry.
• The key market participants include: Colorcon Inc., Ashland, FMC Biopolymers, JRS Pharma, DMV Fonterra, Roquette, Meggle, Gelita, J.M Huber, and Dow Wolff Cellulosics.
1. The market is focused on high-margin segments such as coating polymers, co-processed excipients, coating systems, and super disintegrants to increase profit.
2. By establishing partnerships, suppliers are encouraged to offer value-added services in terms of payment options as well as timeline, price, quality, and supply consistencies.
3. For the vast commoditized excipient volume, the supplier needs to focus on competitive pricing and value addition.
4. Loss of exclusivity of a drug opens up new opportunities for drug manufacturers and increases the volume of drug sales, subsequently increasing the excipient sales.
• This research service covers the North American oral solid drug dosage excipients market. Based on functionality, excipients are segmented as the following: Binders and fillers, disintegrants, coatings, flavors, colors, sweeteners, glidants, adhesives, lubricants, and others.
• Units are defined in terms of tons. Unit shipment forecasts are based on the volume of excipients used in oral solid drug dosage formulations.
• The base year for the study is 2012, with a market history since 2009 and forecasts up to 2019.
• Average prices are presented in US dollars. The average price is the weighted average price of its segments.
• Revenue is defined as manufacturers' revenue (such as BASF, JRS Pharma, and Ashland), which implies sales derived through selling excipients for pharmaceutical companies (including Pfizer Inc., Novartis AG, GlaxoSmithKline plc., AstraZeneca, and Sanofi-Aventis).
• Excipients are used to aid in the delivery of the API (active pharmaceutical ingredient) through the form of oral dosages, parenteral, and transdermal medications. For oral dosages, the key delivery forms are tablets and capsules.
• Pharmaceutical excipients are inert substances, used as carriers of APIs. Excipients are used in conjunction with active pharmaceutical ingredients and intermediates to improve the properties of drug.
• In some cases, efficient delivery of APIs are enhanced by bulking up formulations with excipients.
• Another key function of excipients is to stabilize active ingredients, ensuring a long shelf life, thereby making the final product competitive with other products.
• The efficient delivery of active ingredients is critical. Excipients play a significant role in the safe passage of the drug to its site.
• From a global perspective, the North American region accounts for the largest market.
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
• Key factors driving and restricting growth in the North American oral solid drug dosage excipients market?
• At what stage in the lifecycle is the market and how is it expected to grow?
• Major participants in the market and their market shares?
• Market forecast by segments?
• Key competitive factors driving this market?
• Which segments are poised to grow in future?
Table Of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Market Overview
3. Total Oral Solid Drug Dosage Excipients Market
• Industry Challenges
• External Challenges: Drivers and Restraints
• Regulatory Trends
• Forecast and Trends
4. Binders and Fillers Segment Breakdown
5. Coatings Segment Breakdown
6. Sweeteners Segment Breakdown
7. Superdisintegrants Segment Breakdown
8. Flavors Segment Breakdown
9. Preservatives Segment Breakdown
10. Colors Segment Breakdown
11. Glidants, Lubricants, and Anti-adherents Segment Breakdown
12. Others Segment Breakdown
13. The Last Word
Contact Clare: [email protected]
US:(339) 368 6001
Intl:+1 339 368 6001