KANSAS CITY, Mo., Aug. 26, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Kansas City Animal Health Corridor is hosting the world's only full-day investment forum for early and mid-stage animal health companies today at the KC Animal Health Investment Forum. Presenting companies, which hail from seven U.S. states and Canada, are seeking $500,000 to $20 million in funding and have revenue projections of $20 million.
Presenters will showcase technologies including antibiotic-free drugs for food animals, stem cell products for bone healing, mobile devices to monitor pet fitness and activity, new vaccines for emerging diseases, and a cold plasma treatment for wound healing.
"This year's selection of presenting companies is a great representation of the future of the global animal health industry," said Rich Shuler, president and CEO, Shuler Consulting Services, who served on the selection committee. "Many of the emerging technologies we are seeing today are coming from new sources that view animal health as an exciting opportunity for innovation and investment."
Presenting companies are:
- AgLogica Holdings, LLC – Norcross, GA: on-animal sensors and analytics
- Bovicor Pharmatech, Inc. – Vancouver, British Columbia: infectious disease treatments
- CK9, LLC – Kansas City, KS: canine biopharmaceutical product development
- Fitbark Inc. – Forest Hills, NY: mobile device platform to monitor pets, www.fitbark.com
- Hypercell Technologies – Atlanta, GA: pharmaceuticals to treat infectious and viral diseases in animals, www.hypercelltech.com
- Medgene Labs – Brookings, SD: vitro vaccine screenings, www.medgenelabs.com
- Midway Animal Health – St. Louis, MO: livestock vaccines, primarily for chickens.
- Oxyvita, Inc. – New Windsor, NY: blood transfusion replacement, www.oxyvita.us
- Pan Genome Systems, Inc. – Madison, WI: vaccine developments for cattle, www.pangenosys.com
- Scistem, Inc. – Athens, GA: bone health and healing in animals, www.scistem.com
- Traverse Biosciences Inc. – Stony Brook, NY: prevents periodontal disease in dogs, www.traversebiosciences.com
- Truvitals, Inc. – Gainesville, FL: animal evaluation tools
- Tvax Animal Health, LLC – Lenexa, KS: cancer treatments for animals
- Veterinary Energy Technologies, Inc. – Apopka, FL: treat wounds and infections in animals, www.vetenergytech.com
Companies presenting at previous KC Animal Health Investment Forums have raised more than $130 million, and many have received licensing agreements and distribution contracts. Recent success stories include Aratana Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ: PETX), VaxLiant™, Jaguar Animal Health, SmartVet and KAVB Farm.
"Home to Bayer's animal health division, Hill's Pet Nutrition, Merck Animal Health, Ceva, Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica and more, the KC Animal Health Corridor is an epicenter for established animal health companies," said Kimberly Young, vice president of bioscience development for the Kansas City Area Development Council. "By supporting emerging companies, entrepreneurs and technologies, the Investment Forum furthers our mission as the global center for animal health innovation."
Finalists were selected by a national committee of experts in agricultural and animal health investment opportunities. Forum attendees include representatives from venture capital funds, investment firms, corporate R&D and business development professionals.
About the KC Animal Health Corridor
The KC Animal Health Corridor, anchored by Manhattan, Kan., and Columbia, Mo., is home to more than 300 animal health companies, representing the largest concentration in the world. For more information, visit KCanimalhealth.com
SOURCE Kansas City Area Development Council