ATLANTA, Sept. 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- UCB is pleased to announce 32 recipients were awarded the 2018 UCB Family Epilepsy Scholarship. This year's winners are beginning their academic year at 31 schools across the country where awards will support their undergraduate or graduate education. Hailing from 17 states, this diverse group of passionate advocates includes people living with epilepsy or caregiving for someone living with epilepsy, including parents and siblings.
A distinguished panel of people living with epilepsy, their caregivers, and medical professionals specializing in neurology selected the 2018 recipients from a pool of more than 550 applicants from across the country. Applicants share their personal experiences, academic pursuits, and community achievements as part of their application.
Since its inaugural year in 2005, the UCB Family Epilepsy Scholarship Program has awarded nearly 450 scholarships to deserving applicants in support of their undergraduate or graduate studies. The program is open to people living with epilepsy, their family members, and/or caregivers who demonstrate academic and personal excellence. (Watch 2005 Scholarship Winner Maria Genco's story here to see what she's up to now.)
At UCB, everything we do starts with one simple question, "how can we create more value for people living with severe diseases?" The Scholarship Program is one way we aim to deliver what patients value by helping empower both patients and caregivers beyond the benefits of our medicines. As part of our commitment to patients living with epilepsy, we are focused on continuing to innovate and find solutions for the individual needs of patients to help them live at their ideal.
Congratulations to this year's winners!
2018 UCB Family Epilepsy Scholarship Winners
- Kyle Sandlin, Vienna, Virginia – Winner of the Epilepsy Leader Scholarship
- Justin Blanchford, Fremont, California
- Christian Boyles, Lincolnton, North Carolina
- Jacqueline Bridges, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Lauren Campagna, Dallas, Texas
- Catherine Conmy, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
- Priscilla Dohrwardt, Seattle, Washington
- Grace Garcia, Parker, Colorado
- Catherine Gladki, Van Nuys, California
- Brandon Glenn, Aiken, South Carolina
- Samantha Green, Oakland, California
- Mackenzie Hopfauf, Roscoe, Illinois
- Josephine Hyde, Baltimore, Maryland
- Shariese Katrell, Princeton, New Jersey
- Jacob MacLean, New Kensington, Pennsylvania
- Gillian Mangan, Ocala, Florida
- Bailey McAnulty, Seguin, Texas
- Grant Osborne, Norton, Ohio
- Jake Schloemann, Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
- Zeth Schoenfeld, Sterling, Colorado
- Zachary Shuckrow, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Matthew Summerfield, Saginaw, Michigan
- Idaline Vazquez, Port Saint Lucie, Florida
- Jennifer Woodley, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Spencer Wyatt, Hoschton, Georgia
*Note: Winners names are included with their permission. Some winners opted not to have their names included in this announcement.
This post originally appeared on UCB-USA.com: https://www.ucb-usa.com/stories-media/UCB-U-S-News/detail/article/Announcing-the-2018-UCB-Family-Epilepsy-Scholarship-Winners
SOURCE UCB, Inc.