DETROIT, June 18 /PRNewswire/ -- On Sunday, June 20, 2010, parishioners, honored guests and friends will gather to worship together at a Divine Liturgy in celebration of couples married in the church during the 100 year history of Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral located in Detroit's Greektown. This event is one of the important dates of the year's Centennial Celebration program of special gatherings, family reunions and religious services that commemorate 100 years of service to metro Detroit's Greek Orthodox communities.
"We are proud of our accomplishments and of the true dedication of those who established and supported the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church in times of great joy and in times of sorrow and uncertainty. It is the Greek fortitude that has kept us strong over the years," said Rev. Fr. Athanas (Tom) George, Dean of the Cathedral.
"Now is a time of great celebration for our parishioners and of remembrance and reverence for those who came before them. We honor their memories and will always appreciate their dedication to their faith. Weddings were days of promise and love, and we will honor those brides and grooms who stood before our clergy and were blessed by the church. These weddings were the events that shaped and grew our community. The historic photos we treasure are a testament to the people who had dreams that became reality," added Rev. George. "I am pleased to be able to renew wedding vows and continue the commitment to our religious heritage."
Often referred to as the "mother church" by the Greek Orthodox faithful in Michigan, Detroit's own Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral has reached a significant milestone in the church's history. 100 years ago on March 25, 1910, the State of Michigan chartered the new church as the Church of the Evangelismos. The articles of Association of the church members were drafted and the Association was incorporated under the provisions of Chapter 225 of the Compiled laws of 1897 and is known in law as "Evangelismos Theotokou."
SOURCE Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral