NEW YORK, Nov. 26, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Anti-hypertensive Therapeutics in Asia-Pacific Markets to 2021 - Increasing Prevalence of Hypertension Drives Market Growth despite Weak Pipeline
Hypertension is a chronic medical condition characterized by elevated blood pressure in the arteries. It affected an estimated 517 million people in 2014, a figure that will grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 1.2% to 561 million in 2021 in the four Asia-Pacific (APAC) regions of China, India, Australia, and Japan. This high prevalence is a substantial contributor to healthcare costs and a major cause of morbidity. Despite this, awareness of hypertension is low among physicians, patients, and the public alike, leading to poor blood pressure control.
The classes of drugs prescribed to treat hypertension are Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitors (ACEI), Angiotensin Receptor Blockers (ARB), Calcium Channel Blockers (CCB), beta-blockers, renin inhibitors, and diuretics. The percentage of patients treated using monotherapy and combination therapy (including fixed-dose combinations) varies from country to country. The most commonly prescribed drugs in the CCB class are amlodipine and lercanidipine, while the leading ARBs are telmisartan, candesartan, olmesartan, irbesartan, losartan, valsartan, azilsartan medoxomil, and eprosartan. Ramipril, imidapril, perindopril, enalapril, lisinopril, benazepril, fosinopril, trandolapril, and quinapril dominate the ACEIs.
- Hypertension prevalence is a prominent contributor to market size in the assessed countries. The market is mostly dominated by generics, and there are only a few patented products.
- Will generics continue to dominate treatment?
- How do the elderly populations and their associated risk factors affect prevalence?
- The current anti-hypertensive therapeutics pipeline is weak, comprising 124 molecules in various stages of development, dominated by small molecules.
- Will the upcoming molecules change the treatment paradigm in the near future?
- How will the weak pipeline affect the market?
- Analysis of clinical trials since 2006 identified that anti-hypertensive products have a high rate of attrition.
- How do failure rates vary by product stage of development, molecule type, and mechanism of action?
- How do other factors such as average trial duration and trial size influence the costs and risks associated with product development?
- Over the 2014–2021 forecast period, the APAC anti-hypertensive therapeutics market is expected to increase in value at a CAGR of 3.4% from $15.7 billion to just over $19.9 billion. Growth is projected to vary considerably across the four assessed markets.
- Which markets make the most significant contribution to the current market size?
- What are the epidemiology trends in these markets?
- Will branded products' patent expirations pose a significant threat?
- Will new market entrants over the forecast period lead to substantial changes in annual therapy costs?
Reasons to buy
This report will enable you to -
- Understand the clinical context of hypertension by considering symptoms, etiology, pathophysiology, co-morbidities and complications, epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment options.
- Identify the therapeutic strategies, products, and companies that dominate the current marketed products landscape, and recognize gaps.
- Appreciate key anti-hypertensive pipeline trends in molecule type, administration route, mechanism of action, and novelty.
- Consider market opportunities and potential risks by examining trends in anti-hypertensive clinical trial size, duration, and failure rate by stage of development, molecule type, and mechanism of action.
- Compare treatment usage patterns, annual therapy costs, and market growth projections for the China, India, Australia, and Japan.
- Discover trends in licensing and co-development deals concerning anti-hypertensive products and identify the major strategic consolidations that have shaped the commercial landscape.
Read the full report: http://www.reportlinker.com/p03172450-summary/view-report.html
ReportLinker is an award-winning market research solution. Reportlinker finds and organizes the latest industry data so you get all the market research you need - instantly, in one place.
Contact Clare: [email protected]
Intl: +1 339-368-6001