SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 10, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, App Annie, the most trusted mobile app data and insights platform, launched its first comprehensive app economy forecast. This new offering will provide brands, agencies, investors and app developers with predictive insights on global opportunities for the next five years.
App publishers come from every industry — no longer just game studios and media companies, but also banks, retailers, airlines, ride-sharing services and government agencies. As publishers continue to scale their app strategies, supported by a dynamic venture capital and hedge fund community, critical questions about the future of apps remain: How quickly will the app economy grow and where? Which factors are driving the growth, and in which categories? How much revenue will the app market yield? Which platform is the next big one for the app economy? App Annie's app economy forecast report will help answer these questions and more.
"Our app economy forecast is designed to help unlock key insights and tactics for the dynamic and rapidly evolving app economy, as well as to provide businesses a detailed roadmap for navigating it," said Danielle Levitas, senior vice president of research, App Annie. "We leveraged more than 10,000 sources, on top of our deep and trusted app data and insights, to produce a forecast that is unparalleled in its scientific rigor."
App Annie's inaugural app economy forecast offers such key insights as:
- In 2016, the global mobile app market is projected to expand 24 percent to reach $51 billion in gross revenue across all app stores.1 By 2020, gross revenue across all app stores will exceed $101 billion globally.
- The combination of steady growth in many mature markets, along with rapid growth in emerging markets, will propel the mobile app market's continued expansion.
- While large markets, including the United States, Japan and China, remain central to overall app revenue growth, App Annie sees tremendous opportunity in fast-growing markets, such as India, Indonesia, Mexico and Argentina.
- China will surpass the U.S. in terms of total revenue from app stores by the first half of 2016, having surpassed it in downloads in early 2015.
- App revenues and usage show signs of being recession-resilient, with very strong growth in countries like Argentina and Brazil in 2015. This is reminiscent of the strength of the smartphone and app market during 2008–2010 period in mature markets like the U.S.
Throughout App Annie's nearly six-year history, it has built industry-leading metrics that publishers rely on to benchmark, plan, partner, acquire, manage and ultimately succeed in the app economy. From identifying trends in downloads and revenue, to understanding which segments of consumers are using which apps and in what manner, to now identifying and understanding where the app economy is growing fastest, App Annie delivers the critical metrics publishers need to build better app businesses.
For more information about the forecast report, please visit appannie.com/landing/forecast.
About App Annie
App Annie delivers the most trusted app data and insights for your business to succeed in the app economy globally. Over 500,000 registered members managing 1 million apps rely on App Annie to better understand the app market, their business and the opportunities around them. The company is headquartered in San Francisco with 425+ employees across 15 global offices. App Annie has received $157 million in financing, including from investors such as e.Ventures, Greenspring Partners, Greycroft Partners, IDG Capital Partners, Institutional Venture Partners and Sequoia Capital. Learn more at www.appannie.com.
1 Gross revenue across all app stores is the consumer spend on mobile apps via stores, not net paid to publishers and is inclusive of spend across Apple's App Store, Google Play, 3rd party Android stores, and others including Windows, Amazon, etc.
SOURCE App Annie