NEW YORK, Feb. 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Appboy, the leading global lifecycle engagement platform for marketing, growth, and engagement teams today announced its partnership with PlaceIQ, the company building a new model of consumer behavior with location data and insights. Together, both companies increased mobile engagement for Urban Outfitters, a leading youth-focused retail brand, by using real world behavior to support smarter delivery of consumer messages within its brand-owned app. Using PlaceIQ's dynamic audience filters in concert with Appboy's powerful cross-channel messaging and optimization capabilities, Urban Outfitters boosted customer conversions by 75 percent and increased related revenue by 146 percent. Appboy and PlaceIQ technologies enabled Urban Outfitters to better contextualize their marketing messaging.
"Our goal is to provide better experiences for our audience in this competitive landscape," said Andrew Rauch, Sr. Director, Global Digital Marketing at Urban Outfitters. "Our data enriched by PlaceIQ in Appboy's mobile messaging and testing platform has helped with this goal. Effectively communicating with users through this location-specific marketing led to a 146 percent increase in campaign revenue."
"PlaceIQ continues to help innovative brands succeed by delivering best-in-class location data, in order to grant a better understanding of the consumer journey," said Duncan McCall, CEO and co-founder at PlaceIQ. "Location-aware insights have become a great enabler of decisions across media, marketing and business functions, as well as a core component in driving benefits like significant visitation lift and purchases at brick and mortar locations. Insights from location data can also be a powerful driver for online retail sales as well. By using location data for audience insights, Urban Outfitters was able to craft and deliver a resonant campaign that resulted in tangible sales results. We are excited to continue our partnership with AppBoy to help brands connect with customers in meaningful ways."
Mobile devices continue to proliferate and act as a connection between the physical and digital world, allowing for better personalization and more actionable messaging. The rise of mobile has made it easier to deliver campaigns to customers based on in-app and web preferences allowing marketers to better understand and engage users. By partnering with Appboy and PlaceIQ, Urban Outfitters was able to develop a full scale campaign that included:
- Dynamic audience filters. To further target their outreach, Urban Outfitters used PlaceIQ's support for dynamic audience filters—based on real-world location information and other Appboy data—to deliver messages based on visitation and behavior outside the app. For example, using push notifications to promote party dresses exclusively to female audiences who frequent bars and nightlife locations.
- Emoji messaging. In order to make their messaging more eye-catching and engaging to the demographics targeted by the campaign, Urban Outfitters included emojis in their push notifications, to heighten the fun, light-hearted tone. Appboy recently found that open rates for iOS and Android push notifications containing emojis have increased by 210% and 1,063%, respectively, year over year.
- Deep linking. To provide users with a smoother experience and increase the chances that messaging led to conversions, Urban Outfitters took advantage of Appboy's support for mobile deep linking to send users right to the relevant page within the app when they tapped the message.
- Conversion events. To ensure accurate monitoring of the impact of promotional campaigns, Urban Outfitters used Appboy's Conversion Events feature to track when the push notifications sent as part of this outreach resulted in a purchase.
- Message testing. Appboy's message testing capabilities were used to evaluate separate versions of the campaign—one sent to the targeted PlaceIQ Audience, and one sent to female users who had previously expressed interest in dresses.
"One of the base premises of Appboy is that you can have better relationships with your customers if you have better conversations with them," said Bill Magnuson, CEO and Co-Founder of Appboy. "One-size-fits-all approaches don't work when you're trying to enrich relationships. If someone interrupts your day to send a marketing message, it needs to deliver value. An impersonal push notification is like a telemarketer calling during dinner. No one likes it. With the Appboy/PlaceIQ integration, our clients gain access to a detailed understanding of locations and customer activity to avoid these marketing faux pas—making the outreach more connected to the customer and giving the brand more respect."
Appboy is the leading lifecycle engagement platform for marketing, growth, and engagement teams. We exist to help marketers seize the opportunities created by the challenges of today's mobile economy. That means we built the world's best intelligent CRM so marketers can connect human-to-human, at scale, with their customers, driving deep engagement and ROI. The center of our platform is the holistic user profile that offers a single view of the customer. Our robust audience segmentation and advanced multichannel messaging allow brands to use the data from these user profiles to create and automate highly personalized marketing campaigns, and build meaningful dialogues with their audiences across devices and channels. Thousands of global marketers use Appboy to connect with nearly 700 million monthly active users, with 10 billion messages processed through our platform each month. We help brands like Domino's, ABC News, Capital One, Opera, SoundCloud, and Urban Outfitters to better engage, retain, and monetize their customers. Appboy is venture backed with over 140 employees and offices in New York, San Francisco, and London. Learn more at Appboy.com.
For brands seeking to understand consumer behavior, PlaceIQ connects physical and digital activities across time, space and mobile devices to uncover opportunities to learn and connect with audiences. PlaceIQ is a powerful, location-based audience and insights platform that organizes a wide variety of consumer activity data around a targeted precise location base map at massive scale. PlaceIQ uses its detailed understanding of location and consumer activity to reach a targeted audience, and also to derive powerful insights about consumer behavior to inform market and business strategies for national brands. The company is headquartered in New York City and has offices in Palo Alto, Chicago and Detroit. Follow us on Twitter @PlaceIQ and like us on Facebook: PlaceIQ.
About Urban Outfitters, Inc.
Urban Outfitters, Inc. is an innovative specialty retail company which offers a variety of lifestyle merchandise to highly defined customer niches through 240 Urban Outfitters stores in the United States, Canada, and Europe, catalogs and websites; 218 Anthropologie Group stores in the United States, Canada and Europe, catalogs and websites; 114 Free People stores in the United States and Canada, catalogs and websites; and Free People wholesale, which sells its product to approximately 1,800 specialty stores and select department stores worldwide, as of January 31, 2016.