SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Nov. 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- E2020 Inc., one of the fastest-growing providers of online learning solutions hosted the first-ever Arizona Blended Learning Summit last week, a daylong interactive event designed to elevate the dialogue around online learning in and beyond the state of Arizona.
"As we heard from educators gathered at the Summit, blended learning models are improving educational performance for Arizona schools and districts by meeting students' individual needs with an engaging, effective, and efficient learning experience," said Sari Factor, CEO of E2020, Inc. "Because of its flexibility, technology is proving to be effective in addressing a variety of education challenges, and the Summit gave us an opportunity to highlight specific, best practice examples of successes with blended learning in our state."
Superintendents and other educators from across the state participated in the forum to discuss the use of student-centric blended learning models as a way to improve student engagement and academic outcomes. Heather Staker, Senior Fellow with the Innosight Institute keynoted the event with a presentation on the rise of blended learning in K-12.
In addition, three area schools presented highlights related to their implementations of technology-based curriculum to drive truly personalized instruction:
Vail School District: Is your online program scalable enough for your individual student's needs?
- Challenge: A one-size-fits-all online education program was not meeting the needs of students and teachers.
- Solution: A flexible online program allowed students to take e2020 courses anytime, anywhere. Students were able to catch up on courses they missed, enroll in courses the district might not offer, and take advanced courses to get ahead or graduate early. Teachers were also able to be more involved in facilitating learning, optimizing their role.
- Outcome: Data for 93 students enrolled in courses during the 2011–2012 school year indicated that 80% of courses were completed, representing a significant jump in students completing classes. Administrators also saw more students going on to finish their high school degrees.
Higley Learning Center (HLC): Can at-risk students navigate online credit recovery programs?
- Challenge: Students with behavioral and academic issues were performing poorly in traditional school settings, falling behind, failing to earn credits, and sometimes dropping out of school.
- Solution: A non-traditional, online alternative-educational program allowed middle and high school students to take control of their own learning by enabling more personalized instruction.
- Outcome: One-on-one instruction promoted better learning outcomes for many students, allowing them to get them back on track. Of the 59 high school students enrolled at HLC, 87% of students completed their classes with passing grades. When 2012 data from the Arizona's Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) test were analyzed, results found that 11th and 12th grade students at HLC outperformed their state peers.
Phoenix Union High School: Is a customized interactive math recovery program feasible in a large urban school district?
- Challenge: A large number of students were failing Algebra and Geometry courses, with insufficient support systems to help them improve their grades.
- Solution: An online solution helped the district's diverse student population to quickly recover critical mathematical concepts and break the cycle of low math achievement.
- Outcome: Targeted instruction helped learners understand challenging new concepts, improve their grades, and take more advanced courses. Students were able to work, learn and succeed at their own pace.
For access to the full case studies presented at the Summit, please visit www.education2020.com/azblendedlearning.
About E2020 Inc.
E2020 Inc., (education2020, e2020) is a leading provider of core and elective instruction for students in grades 6–12, creating innovative, rigorous, standards-aligned courseware and virtual instruction programs to prepare students for college and careers. e2020's web-based model, teacher-led video delivery, and innovative instructional approach offer engaging and individualized online instruction to schools for traditional classrooms, blended learning, and virtual programs. For more information, visit www.education2020.com.
Sloane & Company
SOURCE E2020 Inc.