OTTAWA, Oct. 16, 2017 /PRNewswire/ - The Athena Sustainable Materials Institute, headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and with a US affiliate in Pennsylvania, is a leading pioneer in the Green Building Sector and proud to have been on the forefront of sustainability metrics for two decades. This small non-profit has had significant industry impact over the past decades in the following ways:
- The Athena Institute started a revolution in green building design with its free tools for true cradle-to-grave environmental impact measurement of new construction.
- As pioneers of life cycle assessment (LCA) for the built environment, the Athena Institute is transforming tactics and accountability in green design.
- Thousands of design professionals, sustainability consultants and students are using the Athena Impact Estimator for buildings – the first, most comprehensive, and the only free LCA tool for the North American design and construction sector.
- Countless building and roadway projects can claim quantified environmental impact reductions thanks to the data and tools provided to the public by the Athena Institute – see some examples at www.athenasmi.org
- Two decades of work at the Athena Institute enables the LCA incentives and embodied carbon calculations in green building programs like LEED® v4, the Living Building Challenge, the International Green Construction Code, and the Canada Green Building Council's Zero Carbon Building Standard.
- Twenty years of Athena Institute collaboration with the manufacturing sector has spurred sustainability leadership by the makers of construction materials. For example, Portland-limestone cement, a reduced-carbon version of cement, is gaining acceptance and clearing regulatory hurdles thanks to LCA performance data from the Athena Institute.
We welcome media inquiries and hope you will share our story through your outlet. For ease of use, we have included an extensive media backgrounder and sample story/blog text, on our website:
SOURCE Athena Sustainable Materials Institute