MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., July 29, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Omnicell Inc., (NASDAQ:OMCL), today announced that Atlantic Health System has selected Omnicell to be its new provider of automated medication management solutions and data analytics tools in three acute care medical centers -Morristown Medical Center, Overlook Medical Center and Newton Medical Center. For the first time, Atlantic Health pharmacists and nurses will have access to standardized automated medication systems designed to improve workflow, increase patient safety and help enable nurses to spend more time with patients.
Atlantic Health System is a non-profit health care system in New Jersey with five major medical centers and nearly 1,600 licensed beds. As one of the nation's largest accountable care organizations (ACO) Atlantic Health identified a need to obtain a new medication automation system, including automated dispensing cabinets (ADCs) and Pandora business analytics, to offer increased control and understanding of medication and supply dispensing. Atlantic Health will be migrating to Omnicell's Unity enterprise platform.
"Atlantic Health has a long history of incorporating technology to advance clinical practices and support our mission of delivering superb patient care. Patient care teams, especially frontline nursing staff, need the ability to focus on their best attributes of patient engagement while we use technology to help ensure the right medication is going to the right patient," said Dr. Richard Weinberg, director, pharmacy services, at Atlantic Health.
"Omnicell clearly demonstrates a commitment to delivering technology that is reliable and easily accommodates future innovation without creating an undue burden for our integration teams," shared Andrew Kovach, vice president human resources and chief administration officer. "Reliability and confidence in our partner products is paramount, especially when they provide the backbone to our patient care teams and allow them to perform at their best on behalf of our patients."
With its multi-site capabilities driven from a centralized server, the Unity enterprise platform will enable Atlantic Health to manage, with a single database, all ADCs used in central pharmacies, operating rooms and nursing units across the three facilities. This integration is designed to reduce the need for duplicate data entry, reduce the chance for errors and improve the accuracy with which medications are tracked throughout the health system.
The Omnicell solutions selected by Atlantic Health are all part of the Unity enterprise platform and include:
- Anesthesia Workstation™ automated dispensing cabinets for the operating room that are designed to provide secure, convenient access to drugs required during surgery and easy documentation of controlled substance use.
- Anywhere RN™ remote medication management software, a unique web-based application that allows nurses to remotely access the Omnicell dispensing cabinets at their convenience from virtually any hospital workstation, to streamline workflow and minimize interruptions that can lead to medication administration errors.
- Controlled Substance Management System (CSM) designed to improve the management of narcotics throughout the continuum of care. CSM provides perpetual inventory management and an automated audit trail to help the pharmacy comply with regulatory standards. It includes a new time-saving purchasing platform to automate the medication ordering workflow with distributors and the Drug Enforcement Administration's Controlled Substance Ordering System (CSOS).
- OmniRx® automated medication dispensing cabinets, including the integrated Medication Label Printer that allows nurses to print patient-specific labels right from the ADC during medication issue. The ADCs also include the Touch & Go™ advanced biometric ID system, designed with state-of-the-art biometric technology to improve efficiency and security.
- Pandora Analytics, which provides business analytics for automated dispensing systems, focusing on diversion, compliance and inventory management.
- SinglePointe™ patient medication management software which handles and stores up to 100 percent of a patient's medications within the automated dispensing cabinets to improve pharmacy and nursing workflow efficiency and reduce the chance for medication errors or missed doses.
"Hospitals and health systems want to partner with technology providers that offer solutions that will not only achieve their intended use, but also support their unique vision for where and how care needs to be delivered," said J. Christopher Drew, executive vice president, field operations at Omnicell. "Atlantic Health prides itself on being at the forefront of medicine and setting standards for quality healthcare in its communities. After their rigorous review of options, we are excited they selected Omnicell's Unity enterprise platform and look forward to working together to further this vision."
About Atlantic Health System
Atlantic Health, headquartered in Morristown, New Jersey, is one of the largest non-profit health care systems in New Jersey. It includes Morristown Medical Center in Morristown, NJ; Overlook Medical Center in Summit, NJ; Newton Medical Center in Newton, NJ; Chilton Medical Center in Pompton Plains, NJ; and Goryeb Children's Hospital in Morristown, NJ, as well as Atlantic Rehabilitation, and Atlantic Home Care and Hospice. It also includes its subsidiary, Atlantic Ambulance Corporation. Atlantic Health System comprises 1,599 licensed beds, nearly 13,400 employees and more than 3,700 physicians. Atlantic Health System is a clinical and academic affiliate of The Mount Sinai Hospital and the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai; a Major Clinical Affiliate of Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey; part of Atlantic Accountable Care Organization, one of the largest ACOs in the nation, and is a member of AllSpire Health Partners.
Since 1992, Omnicell (NASDAQ: OMCL) has been creating new efficiencies to improve patient care, anywhere it is delivered. Omnicell is a leading supplier of comprehensive automation and business analytics software for patient-centric medication and supply management across the entire healthcare continuum— from the acute care hospital setting to post-acute skilled nursing and long-term care facilities to the home.
More than 2,800 Acute Care customers worldwide have utilized Omnicell's medication automation, supply chain and analytics solutions to increase operational efficiency, reduce errors, deliver actionable intelligence and improve patient safety. Omnicell Non-Acute Care solutions, including its MTS Medication Technologies brand, provide innovative medication adherence packaging solutions to help reduce costly hospital readmissions. In addition, these solutions enable approximately 6,000 institutional and retail pharmacies worldwide to maintain high accuracy and quality standards in medication dispensing and administration while optimizing productivity and controlling costs.
OMCL - G
- All Omnicell news releases (financial, acquisitions, products, technology etc.) are issued exclusively by PR Newswire and are immediately thereafter posted on the company's external website, omnicell.com.
- Omnicell, the Omnicell logo design and OmniRx are registered trademarks of Omnicell, Inc. Anywhere RN and SinglePointe are trademarks of Omnicell, Inc.
- All other brand or product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
SOURCE Omnicell, Inc.