NEW YORK, Nov. 28, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- "The global market for atomic layer deposition and other ultrathin film fabrication processes was valued at $1.1 billion and $1.3 billion in 2014 and 2015, respectively. This market is expected to increase from $1.5 billion in 2016 to nearly $3.7 billion in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 19.1% for 2016-2021.
Use this report to:
- Receive information about most advanced processes employed for the fabrication of ultrathin films.
- Analyze new technological developments in the fabrication of ultrathin films, while outlining technical issues.
- Identify important technology and industry trends within each market segment.
- Learn about the most relevant research and development activities.
- The global market for atomic layer deposition and other ultrathin film fabrication processes was valued at $1.1 billion and $1.3 billion in 2014 and 2015, respectively. This market is expected to increase from $1.5 billion in 2016 to nearly $3.7 billion in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 19.1% for 2016-2021.
- Atomic layer deposition process market is expected to grow from $694 million in 2016 to nearly $2.0 billion in 2021 at a CAGR of 23.3% from 2016 through 2021.
- Liquid phase methods process market is expected to grow from $473 million in 2016 to nearly $1.1 billion at a CAGR of 17.6% from 2016 through 2021.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Atomic layer deposition (ALD) is a relatively new thin film deposition technology invented in Finland in 1974. For many years this method has been mainly used for R&D purposes, primarily due to its low deposition rate. However, since the year 2000, ALD has gained renewed commercial interest in both microelectronics and nanotechnology for the manufacturing of films with thickness measurable in nanometers, in particular ultrathin films (below 30 nm in thickness).
BCC Research published its first report on atomic layer deposition in March 2006. During the last ten years, the ALD market for ALD materials and equipment has evolved, new technological developments have occurred in the field, and industry changes have taken place. In addition, other processes are emerging for deposition of ultrathin films, to meet the requirements associated with device miniaturization in multiple industry sectors, ranging from electronics and optoelectronics to life sciences and sensors and instrumentation.
With this study, BCC Research continues its commitment to monitoring the ALD market and expands its evaluation to also cover alternative technologies. The main goal is to provide an updated review of the most important advances in ultrathin film deposition technology, including recent significant research activities. In addition, a detailed overview of the current market for ultrathin film deposition equipment (UTFE) is offered together with an objective analysis of industry and technological trends, and prospects for future growth.
Specifically, the major objectives of this study are to:
- Provide an update on the most advanced processes employed for the fabrication of ultrathin films.
- Highlight new technological developments in the fabrication of ultrathin films, while outlining technical issues.
- Review existing fields of application for ultrathin films, and investigate emerging applications.
- Estimate current global UTFE markets by process, application, and region, with growth forecasts through 2021 for each market segment.
- Identify important technology and industry trends within each market segment.
- Supply an updated review of current industry players, including manufacturers of UTFE, materials for ultrathin film deposition, technology developers and future market participants.
- Provide a description of the most relevant research and development activities.
- Determine trends in recently issued U.S. patents.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS STUDY
Thin films are typically defined as films with a thickness below 5 microns. With the advent of nanotechnology, there has been growing adoption of processes for fabrication of nanofilms (films with a thickness below 100 nm) and more recently increasing miniaturization has evolved toward the use of ultrathin film (films with a thickness below 30 nm).
ALD is currently the most popular method for producing ultrathin films. In 2005, the year prior to BCC Research's first published report on atomic layer deposition, the ALD market was quite small and valued at only $214 million worldwide; however, the global ALD market has grown steadily since then, with a CAGR greater than 15% during the last 10 years.
In addition, other processes for deposition of ultrathin films have become available, and are gaining interest for production of a variety of films with different functionalities. The principal reason for doing this study is to present a current assessment of the ultrathin film deposition industry from both a technological and market point of view and to outline future trends and key developments. There is also a need to evaluate the current status and future trends of the UTFE market from a global standpoint. As use of ultrathin films expands and new fields of application emerge, information on the suppliers and developers of UTFE and their regional distribution becomes more valuable.
An equally important reason for undertaking this study is to provide technical insights into ultrathin film manufacturing by:
- Providing a review of ultrathin film applications and production methods.
- Identifying current technological trends.
- Providing an overview of the main global R&D activities related to ultrathin film deposition technology, resulting in the issuance of patents.
- Illustrating the latest technological developments.
- This information can assist companies in identifying opportunities for process and productivity improvements and new product development, resulting in a positive impact on future market growth.
This study will be of primary interest to all organizations that:
- Manufacture, sell, and distribute ALD and other ultrathin film deposition equipment.
- Manufacture tools and parts utilized by UTFE producers.
- Produce devices based on ultrathin films.
- Offer thin film deposition and coating services.
- Manufacture processing and characterization equipment for the nano and ultrathin film industry.
- Provide technical and/or marketing services in conjunction with the above mentioned products.
- Are planning to enter the ultrathin film and nanotechnology industry as a supplier, manufacturer, service provider or end user.
Overall, this study applies to industry sectors such as electronics, optoelectronics, mechanical, chemical, energy, optics, medical, biological, dental, sensors and instrumentation, and nanotechnology.
The study is mainly directed toward executives, directors, operations managers, sales and marketing managers, and strategic planners working within the above industries. Universities and research facilities may also find this study to be a good source of technical information regarding ultrathin film technology, equipment, and applications, which can be used as a baseline for new or expanded R&D activities. Librarians of technical information and research centers can also use this report to provide critical data to product managers, market analysts, researchers and other professionals needing detailed and updated insights into the ultrathin film industry.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This report provides an updated review of atomic layer deposition and other ultrathin film deposition technologies, and identifies current and emerging applications for these technologies.
BCC Research delineates the current market status for ultrathin film deposition equipment, defines trends and presents growth forecasts for the next five years. The UTFE market is analyzed based on the following segments: process, application and region. In addition, technological issues, including key events and the latest process developments, are discussed.
More specifically, the market analysis conducted by BCC Research for this report is divided into five sections. In the first section, an introduction to the topic and a historical review of atomic layer deposition are provided, including an outline of recent events. In this section, current and emerging applications for ALD and other ultrathin film fabrication processes are also identified and grouped in segments (electronics, optoelectronics, mechanical/chemical, sensors and instrumentation, energy, optical coatings, life sciences, and others).
The second section provides a review of deposition technologies for ultrathin films. This section offers a revised and detailed description of various thin film coating processes; existing deposition methods for ultrathin films; and new and emerging fabrication processes. This section concludes with an analysis of the most important technological developments since 2013, including examples of significant patents recently issued or applied for, as well as highlighting the most active research organizations operating in this field.
The third section entails a global market analysis for UTFE. Global revenues (sales data in millions of dollars) are presented for each segment (process, application and region), with actual data referring to the years 2014 and 2015, and estimates for 2016. The analysis of current UTFE revenues is followed by a detailed presentation of market growth trends, based on industry growth, technological trends and regional trends. The third section concludes by providing projected UTFE revenues within each segment, together with forecast compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for the period 2016 through 2021.
In the fourth section of the study, which covers global industry structure, the report offers a list of the leading suppliers of UTFE, together with a description of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographical distribution of these firms and an evaluation of other key industry players. Detailed company profiles of the top players are also provided.
The fifth and final section includes an analysis of recently issued U.S. patents, with a summary of patents related to ultrathin film fabrication methods, equipment and applications. Patent analysis is performed by region, country, assignee, patent category, application and process type.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
To analyze the overall market and market segments, both primary and secondary research methodologies were used to obtain market data. The technology section of this report is based on information derived from technical literature, related BCC Research reports, professional journals, the author's field experience and online sources.
Global market analysis was performed by a thorough investigation of manufacturers of ultrathin film deposition equipment, producers of raw materials, and developers of new technologies, accounting for at least 95% of the global market. Data were obtained from the direct contribution of primary sources, including company executives, managers, engineers and other technical personnel representing manufacturers, developers and users of ultrathin film deposition equipment; representatives of academia and trade associations; and industry market analysts.
Additional data for each company were obtained by thoroughly analyzing Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings, websites, annual reports, industry directories, industry magazines and catalogs, government sources and other public sources.
Secondary sources of information include, but are not limited to:
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Filings.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- European Patent Office.
- Company websites.
- Company annual reports.
- Thomas Register.
- Moody's Directory.
- S & P Industry Survey.
- Dun & Bradstreet Business Directory.
- Foreign chamber of commerce directories.
- Foreign stock exchange listings.
- American Ceramic Society publications.
- American Chemical Society publications.
In addition to utilizing the above primary and secondary sources, market growth trends and forecasts were compiled by gaining additional insights from relevant financial and market information, relevant BCC Research reports, and the author's own in-depth and comprehensive analysis of the collected information.
Read the full report: http://www.reportlinker.com/p04397412-summary/view-report.html
ReportLinker is an award-winning market research solution. Reportlinker finds and organizes the latest industry data so you get all the market research you need - instantly, in one place.
Contact Clare: [email protected]
Intl: +1 339-368-6001