DALLAS, May 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AT&T* and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile), the No. 1 mobile phone provider in the U.S.**, today announced the upcoming availability of the Samsung Rugby® II, the next generation Push to Talk device with a durable, military-grade design that can stand up to the harshest of elements. Available exclusively for AT&T customers, the Rugby II will be compatible with AT&T's High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) 7.2 Mbps technology, which provides a considerable speed boost to the nation's fastest 3G network when paired with expanded backhaul.
The Rugby II, available in a grey, rugged clamshell design, features improved noise suppression and an external speaker making it easier to communicate regardless of the environment. In addition, the Rugby II is also certified to military standard MIL-STD-810G to withstand dust, shock, vibration, rain, humidity, solar radiation, altitude and temperature extremes, ideal for use even in the toughest of environments.
"The Samsung Rugby II offers our customers a sturdy phone that can withstand some of the roughest environments," said Michael Woodward, vice president, Mobile Phone Portfolio, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "This is a no-nonsense, durable device with easy-to-use features like Push-to-Talk and a one-touch button to keep you in touch with your contacts while backed by the nation's fastest 3G network."
With advanced aGPS capabilities, users can stay on the right track. The Rugby II features AT&T Navigator, which offers voice-guided and visual turn-by-turn GPS driving directions with automatic reroute, full-color maps, and real-time traffic alerts, as well as AT&T Family Map, which gives families the ability to track a child's location from a PC or cell phone and request location updates at any time. The Rugby II also includes access to aGPS applications, including Loopt, Trimble Outdoors, AllSport GPS and Where.
The Rugby II enables AT&T's Mobile Resource Management applications, TeleNav Track™ and Xora GPS Timetrack from AT&T, and is great for transportation, distribution, construction, field service, maintenance, landscaping, and other businesses and government agencies looking to increase visibility of their field operations, monitor track location and activities of their employees, and improve responsiveness and productivity.
In addition to a robust design, the Rugby II includes large external speakers, which allow for ease of use with AT&T's Push to Talk service , which covers 97% of the U.S. population. Push to Talk gives customers the ability to pull an entire work group into a wireless call from a PTT session and the ability to set one's own status to available, unavailable, do not disturb and more. Push to Talk is available to AT&T customers for just $5 per month on Nation Plan lines.
"Following the success of the Rugby, Samsung is introducing the Rugby II, a rugged and durable device with an enhanced external speaker and new aGPS applications," said Omar Khan, chief strategy officer, Samsung Mobile. "This device allows a workforce to stay in touch with the push of a button and its design can withstand everyday wear and tear."
Rugby II is equipped with one of the world's most intelligent voice processor from Audience to enhance voice and suppress noise for clear communications nearly anywhere. Like the human ear, the chip isolates your voice, and filters out all the unwanted background noise, for unsurpassed mobile call clarity without the noise from a busy street, loud public places, nearby conversations or even sirens going by.
The Samsung Rugby II also includes AT&T Video Share, Mobile Video and AT&T Mobile Music to keep you entertained on and off the job. Additional features of the Rugby II included a 2.0 megapixel camera with video recording, Bluetooth® technology and a microSD™ memory card slot. The Rugby II also includes dual-band 3G connectivity and quad-band GSM technology, which allows AT&T customers to make calls in more than 220 countries and download data in more than 195.
Pricing and Availability
The Samsung Rugby II will be available on June 6 at AT&T retail locations nationwide or at http://www.att.com/wireless for $129.99 after $50 mail-in rebate. (Pay $179.99 and after mail-in rebate receive $50 AT&T Promotion Card. Two-year agreement required.)
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
** Number one mobile phone provider in the U.S. claim for Samsung Mobile based upon reported shipment data, according to Strategy Analytics, Q1 2010, Q1-Q4 2009 and Q3 and Q4 2008 U.S. Market Share Handset Shipments Reports.
(1) AT&T imposes: a Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge of up to $1.25 to help defray costs incurred in complying with obligations and charges imposed by State and Federal telecom regulations; State and Federal Universal Service charges; and surcharges for government assessments on AT&T. These fees are not taxes or government-required charges.
(2) 3G coverage is not available in all areas.
(3) Coverage not available in all areas.
(4) AT&T Promotion Card: Price for Samsung Rugby II before AT&T Promotion Card & with 2 year contract is $179.99. Allow 60 days for fulfillment. Card valid for 120 days wherever major credit cards accepted. May be used to pay wireless bill. Not redeemable for cash and cannot be used at ATMs or gas pumps. Some restrictions and other charges apply. See terms at store or at att.com/wirelessrebate. You must be customer for 30 consecutive days to receive Promotion Card.
(5) Limited-time offer. Other conditions & restrictions apply. See contract & rate plan brochure for details. Subscriber must live & have a mailing addr. within AT&T's owned wireless network coverage area. Up to $36 activ. fee applies. Equipment price & avail may vary by mrk & may not be available from independent retailers. Early Termination Fee: None if cancelled in the first 30 days, but up to $35 restocking fee may apply to equipment returns; thereafter up to $325 if purchasing certain specified equipment (http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=17951) or up to $150 for other equipment.. Some agents impose add'l fees. Offnet Usage: If your mins of data use on other carrier's networks ("offnet usage") during any month exceeds your offnet usage allowance, AT&T may at its option terminate your svc, deny your contd use of other carriers' coverage, or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for offnet usage. Your data offnet usage allowance is the lesser of 24 MB or 20% of the KB incl'd with your plan).
(6) Sales tax calculated based on price of unactivated equipment.
(7) Standard usage rates apply to text messaging and Internet browsing, depending on your plan.
(8) AT&T Family Map– in addition to the monthly charge, standard data charges also apply
(9) AT&T Navigator - separate subscription required. Standard data rates apply.
(10) Video Share not available in all areas. Video Share requires the sender and receiver to have compatible feature & be in a 3G coverage area to share video. Both sender and receiver will be charged for any call minutes. Only the sender will incur Video Share usage charges. AT&T is not responsible for the content of any video.
(11) Samsung Mobile is proud to provide ENERGY STAR-qualified power adapters with its mobile phones and accessories. ENERGY STAR qualified products use less energy, save money, and help protect the environment. Products that have earned the ENERGY STAR meet strict energy-efficiency guidelines set by the US Environmental Protection Agency and the US Department of Energy.
(12) Certified to meet military standard MIL-STD-810G to withstand dust, shock, vibration, rain, humidity, solar radiation, altitude and temperature extremes.
For more information and detailed disclaimer information, please review this announcement in the AT&T newsroom at http://www.att.com/newsroom.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) is a premier communications holding company. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's fastest 3G network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet and voice services. A leader in mobile broadband, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T | DIRECTV brands. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world. In domestic markets, AT&T Advertising Solutions and AT&T Interactive are known for their leadership in local search and advertising. In 2010, AT&T again ranked among the 50 Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE® magazine.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com. This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at http://www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATTNews. Find us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/ATT to discover more about our consumer and wireless services or at www.Facebook.com/ATTSmallBiz to discover more about our small business services.
About Samsung Telecommunications America
Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC, a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, develops and markets wireless handsets and telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, please visit www.samsungwireless.com.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2009 consolidated sales of US$116.8 billion. Employing approximately 188,000 people in 185 offices across 65 countries, the company consists of eight independently operated business units: Visual Display, Mobile Communications, Telecommunication Systems, Digital Appliances, IT Solutions, Digital Imaging, Semiconductor and LCD. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is a leading producer of digital TVs, memory chips, mobile phones and TFT-LCDs. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com.
© 2010 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE AT&T Inc.