TULSA, Okla., June 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Automated Mail Service ("AMS") announced today that it has successfully completed the implementation of the Intelligent Mail® Full Service program—the next generation of U.S. Postal Service® barcode technology used to sort and track letters and flats. The implementation required a significant investment of capital and resources by AMS. The implementation took several months as the Intelligent Mail Full Service software was installed and tested, and as extensive mail analysis was performed by the U.S. Postal Service.
In a U.S. Postal Service news release describing the new Intelligent Mail technology:
Postmaster General John E. Potter was quoted as saying, "Intelligent Mail is like having a GPS system for mail." The centerpiece of the technology is a 65-digit standardized intelligent barcode used on each piece of mail as well as each mail container. As the mail pieces travel through the postal network, and are scanned at key points, the Intelligent Mail technology enables business customers to "see" their mail at every step—from arrival at the postal facility to processing to transportation to delivery. "Constant feedback is what really differentiates Intelligent Mail from our current process," said Potter. "This increases the overall value of mail as a business communications medium."(1)
The specific benefits of the Intelligent Mail Full Service program are as follows:
- Increases the customer's ability to track mail pieces through the entire U.S. Postal Service network, including (i) destination confirmation for outbound mail tracking and (ii) origin confirmation for reply mail logging of payments and products that are en route.
- Saves time through automated acceptance and verification of mail pieces.
- Enables electronic postage payment and around-the-clock customer account access.
- Increases the amount of usable envelope space so that customers may add valuable marketing messages.
- Provides real-time feedback on change of address information for customers to update their databases.
"We are very excited to have achieved this milestone at AMS. Currently, only a small percentage of mailers in the U.S. have successfully implemented the Intelligent Mail Full Service program. With this milestone, our customers will immediately be able to access the benefits of this next-generation of mail delivery information processing," said Carla Covey, President of AMS.
AMS is a full service direct mail and commercial mail presort company that was founded in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1979. AMSis located at 6915 East 38th Street in Tulsa, employs a team of 75 mail professionals and has approximately 40,000 square feet of office, production and warehouse space where it houses its direct mail and presort operations. For more information about AMS, please visit our website at http://www.automatedmail.com.
(1) U.S. Postal Service. News Release 07-002 (January 10, 2007).
SOURCE Automated Mail Service