MARYSVILLE, Ohio, Sept. 20, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The cooler weather and increased precipitation of fall are a welcomed relief for lawns throughout United States. Grass suffered through a long, hot summer with many parts of the country experiencing drought-like conditions. Excessive heat and lack of rain can leave plants brown and withered. Grass is no exception, but there is still hope for recovery this fall.
Reseeding is a great way to revitalize the lawn, and luckily, fall provides the best conditions to plant new grass seed. Reseeding fills in bare spots caused by excessive traffic or disease, and restores thinning patches where lack of rain has scarred the lawn. In fact, reseeding with grass seed in combination with lawn food in the fall can make your lawn thicker next spring. A lush lawn helps capture and filter rainwater to recharge our groundwater supply.
Simple Steps for Reseeding Your Lawn
- Prep: Mow your existing lawn short and remove clippings so the seed can make contact with the soil. In thin or bare areas, loosen the top layer of soil to help the seedlings take root. For best results, aerate or de-thatch after mowing.
- Apply: Adjust spreader settings as indicated by your favorite Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed product and apply to the lawn. Avoid areas that have been treated with a weed killer in the past three weeks or a weed prevention product in the last two months, as new seedlings will not grow in these areas. Also apply Scotts Turf Builder Starter Fertilizer to encourage quicker and thicker growth.
- Water: Water thoroughly after application, and continue to water daily to keep the soil moist for at least two weeks, or until the seedlings reach approximately two inches in height. Sunny areas may require additional water, and shady areas may need less.
Tips for Reseeding Success
- Look for Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed with the WaterSmart Coating. This coating holds twice as much water for two times as long as uncoated seed to help get early seeding success with less water. There are many varieties available for the different lawn types throughout the country.
- After reseeding, keep traffic and mowing to a minimum until new seedlings establish.
- Do not apply a weed killer or weed prevention product to the reseeded area until the new seedlings have been mowed at least four times. Some weed controls could damage or kill the seedlings.
- To help keep your entire lawn thick and resilient, regularly feed with Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizer.
Fight back against the drought-like conditions of summer by seeding and feeding for the softest play space Mother Nature has to offer in the fall.
With approximately $3 billion in worldwide sales, The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, through its wholly-owned subsidiary, The Scotts Company LLC, is the world's largest marketer of branded consumer products for lawn and garden care. The Company's brands are the most recognized in the industry. In the U.S., the Company's Scotts®, Miracle-Gro® and Ortho® brands are market-leading in their categories, as is the consumer Roundup® brand, which is marketed in North America and most of Europe exclusively by Scotts and owned by Monsanto. In Europe, the Company's brands include Weedol®, Pathclear®, Evergreen®, Levington®, Miracle-Gro®, KB®, Fertiligene® and Substral®. For additional information, visit us at www.scotts.com.
SOURCE The Scotts Company LLC