NEW YORK, March 6, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- In recognition of International Women's Day on March 8, Avon and the Avon Foundation for Women today announced $500,000 in grants that are supporting the safety and empowerment of women and families across the United States. Through its partnership with 32 unique local non-profit organizations, Avon's Speak Out Against Domestic Violence initiative is benefiting 2017 programs that will help ensure more domestic violence victims have access to the vital services needed to help them rebuild their lives. With more than $40 million contributed to domestic violence programs across the country, Avon is one of the largest corporate supporters of the cause in the United States.
"Avon is rightly known as the company for empowering women, a commitment that has been strong since its founding. For 130 years, our company has given women the opportunity to earn financial freedom through our direct selling model. These earnings have a powerful impact, not only on a woman's life, but also on the lives of her family and her community," said Scott White, Chief Executive Officer of New Avon. "Yet, we know that women cannot be truly empowered unless their health and safety are guaranteed. We are proud to partner with incredible organizations across the country that provide critical support for domestic violence survivors – and help to create a world where women and families can continue to prosper."
"With one in four women affected by domestic violence in her lifetime, the Avon Foundation for Women has set out to support the organizations that provide vital resources to today's victims," said Christine Jaworsky, Director of the Avon Foundation and leading its Speak Out Against Domestic Violence Program. "Through important partnerships like these, together we hope to break the cycle of domestic violence for women once and for all."
Each of the beneficiaries offer ongoing support to victims in their communities, including delivering essential services such as shelter, counseling, educational and professional training, survivor advocacy and case management, among other important resources. Avon is honored to support the following organizations:
- A Safe Haven Foundation – Chicago, IL
- Antelope Valley Domestic Violence Council – Lancaster, CA
- Artemis Center for Alternatives to Domestic Violence – Dayton, OH
- Casa Central Social Services Corporation – Chicago, IL
- Casa Pensamiento de Mujer del Centro Inc. – Aibonito, PR
- Center Against Sexual Family Violence Inc. – El Paso, TX
- Center for Hope and Safety – Rochelle Park, NJ
- Children and Families of Iowa: Family Violence Center Midwest – Des Moines, IA
- Elizabeth House – Pasadena, CA
- Eva's Village – Paterson, NJ
- Faith House Inc. – Lafayette, LA
- Fayette County Council On Domestic Violence Inc. – Fayetteville, GA
- Five Acres: The Boys & Girls Aid Society of Los Angeles County – Altadena, CA
- Florida Resources Center for Women & Children, Inc. – West Palm Beach, FL
- Foothill Family Service – Pasadena, CA
- Good Shepherd Shelter of Los Angeles – Los Angeles, CA
- Haven Hills, Inc. – Canoga Park, CA
- Haven of Hope – Cambridge, OH
- Jersey Battered Women's Service, Inc. – Morristown, NJ
- My Sister's Place – White Plains, NY
- Rainbow House Domestic Abuse Services, Inc. – Marinette, WI
- Ruth's House Inc. – Washington, NC
- Safe & Sound Somerset Inc. – Hillsborough, NJ
- Safe Homes of Orange County – Newburgh, NY
- Shepherds Door – Pasadena, CA
- Task Force on Domestic Violence Hope Inc. – Fairmont, WV
- The Lighthouse – Lancaster, OH
- Urban Resource Institute – New York, NY
- Volunteer Counseling Services, Inc. – New City, NY
- Women Helping Women – Cincinnati, OH
- Women's Crisis Center, Inc. – Hebron, KY
- YWCA of Metropolitan Chicago – Chicago, IL
Avon and the Avon Foundation for Women launched Speak Out Against Domestic Violence in 2004 to help end the cycle of domestic violence for women, their families and future generations. Today, Avon has provided more than $40 million for domestic and gender violence programs in the United States, helping serve more than 11 million domestic violence victims since 2010. This commitment is driven by the tireless dedication of Avon Representatives that have actively fundraised for Avon's Speak Out Against Domestic Violence program through the sales of Empowerment merchandise, donating 20% of proceeds of products like the Empowerment Strength Charm Bracelet and Sterling Silver Empowerment Ring to the cause. To support Avon's Speak Out Against Domestic Violence efforts, visit Avon.com, and learn more about the program's impact at Avon.com/blog.
Avon Speak Out Against Domestic Violence
Avon and the Avon Foundation for Women launched Speak Out Against Domestic Violence in 2004 to support domestic violence awareness, education and prevention programs aimed at reducing domestic and gender violence, and to provide direct services for victims and their families. Avon and the Avon Foundation have contributed more than $60 million globally to support this goal. Globally, Avon supports efforts to end violence against women in nearly 50 countries by raising funds through special product sales and educating women around the world through its army of nearly six million Avon Representatives. For more information, visit www.avonfoundation.org.
About Avon and the Avon Foundation for Women
Avon is a global corporate leader in philanthropy focused on causes that matter most to women. Together, Avon and the Avon Foundation for Women have contributed over $1 billion in over 50 countries. Avon's funding is focused on breast cancer research and advancing access to quality care through the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade, and efforts to reduce domestic and gender violence through its Speak Out Against Domestic Violence program. The company's global markets sell special products to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer and domestic violence, conduct hundreds of events for these causes, and educate women around the world through its global network of nearly six million Avon Representatives.
SOURCE New Avon