B2B Companies Need to Give Their Marketing Plans a Facelift, Says Strategic Marketing Growth Expert Lisa Nirell
EnergizeGrowth®'s New Guidelines and Scorecard Show How to Optimize Marketing Investments
18 Apr, 2012, 07:45 ET
ALEXANDRIA, Va., April 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The four Ps of Marketing -- Product, Place, Price, and Promotion -- are out of date for today's B2B companies.
"These marketing mix fundamentals no longer serve today's B2B companies," says Lisa Nirell, president of EnergizeGrowth® LLC, who consults with B2B market leaders such as BMC Software, Adobe, Sony, and IBM. She has created a strategic plan for business that includes the four Ms -- Market, Message, Method and Mindset.
"One of my clients, a division of a $4B software giant, continued to struggle with adoption of their new sales messaging playbooks. The VP of Strategy could not figure out why people did not use these costly, well-written tools. That prompted me to design more contemporary strategy marketing plan criteria," says Nirell, who speaks at conferences and associations targeted to B2B companies, such as Arizona State University, Service Strategies, and the Greater Houston Women's Chamber.
"In this new age of social media, people are asking 'What is marketing and what can marketing do to be more effective and drive higher value and impact?'" says Nirell. "Marketing leaders tell me that attracting a larger number of ideal clients is equally as challenging as shaping and influencing a positive, customer-centric culture. When both areas work in harmony, your company is unstoppable."
- Market - The internal and external factors that are causing your prospects and customers to change, as well as the ideal customer you are targeting. Your marketing plan template and resource requirements should be customer centric, not product/service centric.
- Message - How you communicate at every brand touch point: your positioning, sales messaging, presentations, voicemail messages, front office decor, etc.
- Method - The marketing mix you will use to attract ideal customers. They include a host of traditional "push" marketing methods (e-newsletters and advertising) as well as "pull" methods (building marketing gravity through publishing, seminars, and social media communities).
- Mindset - A system for taming the limiting beliefs and cultural constraints that sabotage your growth plan. The best-laid plans fail when marketing leaders ignore the cultural norms and attitudes that undermine their true potential.
The results from applying these four new criteria speak for themselves. Nirell adds, "We recently worked with a $30M engineering consulting firm to help them accelerate growth and restore profitability. In the past, they ignored the lingering negative mindset in their team meetings. It stymied every new CEO-sponsored growth initiative. We provided a method for them to neutralize the mindset during weekly management meetings. This marketing plan template created an unprecedented level of candor across their global teams. Within twelve months, they experienced a 25% top line revenue increase, restored positive cash flow, and were showcased in Inc. Magazine."
Nirell summarizes by saying, "marketing and selling the right products and services in the right place, at the right price, at the right time are still essential habits. Managing your beliefs around your business strategy growth plan is not just essential, it is game-changing."
Lisa Nirell has helped B2B companies grow market share and top line revenue growth since 1998. Through her sustainable growth consulting services, tailored workshops, and online learning resources, clients typically experience at least a 2%-5% increase in revenues and greater confidence in their growth plan.
In addition, Lisa's latest book, called EnergizeGrowth NOW: The Marketing Guide to a Wealthy Company, helps CEOs and senior marketing executives learn how to:
- Avoid the pitfalls of running a growth company
- Tackle mindsets and beliefs that distract you from your goals
- Adapt quickly to changes in your customer base
- Maximize market traction
- Launch online communities that foster customer evangelists
"Each chapter is designed to help B2B companies drive healthy growth without selling out on their values," said Nirell, an award-winning FastCompany expert blogger.
To receive a free chapter of Lisa's book, plus a customized online growth survey, go to http://www.energizegrowth.com and register for EnergizeNews.
About Lisa Nirell
Lisa Nirell is the author of EnergizeGrowth NOW: The Marketing Guide to a Wealthy Company. She loves helping socially conscious CEOs and leaders drive sustainable growth by focusing on their customers and core values.
Since 1998, Lisa has been sought after to uncover fresh new business growth ideas and lead senior staff through seismic culture shifts and transitions.
She has advised top performing companies such as BMC Software, Microsoft, Adobe, Covance, and Wells Fargo Advisors. She brings the best of her practical wisdom to mid-market B2B leaders.
SOURCE EnergizeGrowth LLC
Share this article