HOUSTON, July 14, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- A deceased Navy veteran's widow who alleged his death was caused by asbestos exposure during his military service was awarded $11.5 million by a Missouri state court jury, the law firm Bailey Peavy Bailey and co-counsel said today.
Jeanette Poage, whose late husband, James, died in 2013 of mesothelioma, a lung cancer, alleged he was exposed to asbestos-containing products during his service as a machinist's mate in the Navy in the 1950s. The lawsuit alleged that the defendants failed to warn the public of known dangers of asbestos.
After a six-day trial, the jury ordered the Stamford, Conn.-based Crane Co. to pay $1.5 million in compensatory damages and $10 million in punitive damages on July 2. Other defendants in the case settled before trial.
Mrs. Poage, is represented by lead counsel Fletch Trammell of Trammell PC, of Houston; lead counsel Robert Cowan and Aaron Heckaman of BPB, of Houston; and co-counsel Ben Schmickle of SWMK Law, of St. Louis, Mo.
Mr. Heckaman said, "The evidence showed that the defendants knew of the health risks of working with these products, but did not issue warnings about the dangers. Because the dangers were ignored, hard-working families like the Poages suffered terribly."
Mr. Trammell said, "Mrs. Poage and her legal team are grateful for the service of the jury and for the message they sent in this case. This verdict reminds us that companies marketing toxic products must issue warnings and precautions for the use of the products – or face the consequences."
The case is "Jeanette G. Poage, et al., vs. 3M Company, et al.," Cause No. 1322-CC00059 in the 22nd Judicial Circuit Court of Missouri.
Contact: Erin Powers, Powers MediaWorks LLC, for Bailey Peavy Bailey, (281) 703-6000, firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOURCE Bailey Peavy Bailey