TUPELO, Miss., Oct. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- In recognition of National Protect Your Identity Week on October 17-22, BancorpSouth is urging clients to pay particular attention to identity theft prevention.
"BancorpSouth works diligently to protect our customers from identity theft," said Cathy Talbot, Fraud and Security Officer at BancorpSouth. "We use a combination of safeguards to protect customer information, such as employee training, strict privacy policies, and rigorous security standards. But we can't do it alone. Customers can help us protect them by following a few simple precautions."
BancorpSouth encourages its clients to follow some simple steps to avoid becoming a victim:
- Shred or tear up statements and other personal information. Criminals may be able to get access to your accounts and personal information by "dumpster diving" (retrieving canceled checks, deposit receipts or bank statements from dumpsters or trash bins).
- Keep an eye out for any missing mail, particularly account statements and bills that do not arrive when expected.
- Review your accounts regularly for any unauthorized charges through the Internet, phone or ATM.
- Order free copies of your credit report once a year from each of the credit reporting agencies to ensure accuracy. Go to the Federal Trade Commission's authorized web site www.annualcreditreport.com for your free credit report.
- Choose to do business with companies you know are reputable, particularly online. When conducting business online, use firewalls, anti-spyware and anti-virus software and do not respond to unsolicited requests for personal information.
- Protect your PINs and passwords. Use a combination of letters and numbers for your passwords and change them periodically.
- Report any suspected fraud immediately to your bank and the fraud units of the three credit reporting agencies.
Identity Theft is a complicated crime and BancorpSouth provides a comprehensive solution, called IndentitySecure(SM), that provides access to benefits and services that help prevent, detect and resolve identity theft-related issues. For more information about IndentitySecure(SM), go to www.bancorpsouth.com.
A special website, www.protectyouridnow.org, is also available that offers consumer tips, steps for victims and a state-by-state list of Protect Your Identity Week events. There's also an online ID quiz that can help determine how prone one may be to identity theft.
BancorpSouth, Inc. is a $13.4 billion-asset financial holding company. The company operates approximately 314 banking and insurance locations in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee and Texas. In addition to providing traditional banking services, credit cards, mortgages, trust and fiduciary services, the company provides investment services through its subsidiary BancorpSouth Investment Services, Inc. and insurance services through its subsidiary BancorpSouth Insurance Services, Inc. BancorpSouth's common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol BXS.
SOURCE BancorpSouth, Inc.