KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LONDON, June 2 /PRNewswire/ -- BATS Global Markets, an innovative financial markets technology company, announced that BATS Exchange achieved the second-best monthly market share in its history while BATS Europe set monthly records in the AEX and OMXH25 indices.
BATS Exchange recorded market share of 11.36% in May, second only to the 11.39% record set in February 2009. Meanwhile, BATS Europe earned 5.6% market share for the month in both the AEX and OMXH25, surpassing previous records, set in April, of 5% and 5.4%, respectively.
"During one of the most hectic months in the history of securities trading, we are also pleased to report that BATS' systems in the US and Europe remained 100% operational at all times," Joe Ratterman, CEO of BATS Global Markets and BATS Exchange said. "We're pleased to have the confidence of our clients worldwide, a confidence that's reflected in our market share growth in May.
"We look forward to the launch of our second US equities exchange, BYX, later this year and remain committed to seeking other opportunities where we can Make Markets Better worldwide," he said.
Among top global equities market operators in April, BATS Exchange remained in 3rd place after NYSE and NASDAQ and ahead of exchanges in Shanghai, Tokyo and London in terms of value of shares traded.
BATS Europe also earned a new average daily turnover record of more than euro 2.6 billion and maintained strong market share with its second-best monthly performances to date in the FTSE 100 (9.5%) and Europe overall (5.1%).
Additional May Highlights:
- BATS Options, the newest US options exchange, completed its symbol rollout and also hit a record of 152,682 contracts executed on Thursday, May 20th.
- BATS Europe set new one-day market share records in the AEX (7.0% on May 25th) and OMXH25 (6.9% on May 20th).
- The BATS 1000SM Index closed at 12,182.36 in May compared to 13,219.79 in April.
BATS Exchange May Volume & Market Share Summary:
- Average total handled volume of 1,600,452,857 shares daily (includes odd-lots)
- Average matched volume of 1,378,663,243 shares daily (excludes odd-lots)
- Average internal match rate of 88.0%
- Matched market share for Tape A securities of 8.5%
- Matched market share for Tape B securities of 17.6% (new record)
- Matched market share for Tape C securities of 13.3% (new record)
- Matched market share for all securities of 11.36%
- Total notional value traded of $835,944,573,143 (3rd highest ever; excludes odd-lots)
BATS Europe May Volume & Market Share Summary:
- Average daily notional value traded of euro 2,611,593,670 for all markets (new record)
- Average daily notional value traded of euro 68,782,644 for the BATS Europe Dark Pool (2nd highest ever)
- Market share for FTSE 100 securities of 9.5% (2nd highest ever)
- Market share for FTSE 250 securities of 6.7% (2nd highest ever)
- Market share for FTSE MIB securities of 5.1%
- Market share for CAC 40 securities of 4.7%
- Market share for DAX 30 securities of 4.5%
- Market share for AEX securities of 5.6% (new record)
- Market share for BEL 20 securities of 3.4%
- Market share for SMI securities of 6.5% (2nd highest ever)
- Market share for OMXH25 securities of 5.6% (new record)
- Market share for OMXH30 securities of 3.9%
- Market share for STOXX 50 securities of 5.3%
- Market share for all securities of 5.1% (2nd highest ever)
BATS Global Markets (BATS) is an innovative global financial markets technology company headquartered in the Kansas City, Mo. area with additional offices in New York and London. The BATS platform was launched in January 2006 and, operating as BATS Exchange, Inc., is a premier destination among the top ranked equity markets in the United States. BATS serves the European market through its London based, FSA-authorised subsidiary, BATS Europe, which operates a Multilateral Trading Facility for European securities. Most recently, BATS launched a US equity options market, BATS Options, and expects to launch a second US equities exchange, BYX, in 2010. The BATS platform is internally developed by a dedicated core team of market and technology professionals, catering to the needs of the broker-dealer and trading community. BATS ... Making Markets Better.
SOURCE BATS Global Markets