WASHINGTON, March 8, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Campaign for Working Families, one of America's leading pro-family, pro-life, pro-free enterprise political action committees, announced today the results of a poll of their 200,000 conservative, grassroots activists, in which 3 out of 4 said it was time to unite as a party.
CWF supporters were asked what they felt should happen next in the Republican presidential nomination battle: Should the party unite behind front-runner Governor Mitt Romney? Should GOP primary voters unite behind a conservative alternative? Or should another candidate be recruited to jump in?
- 74% of respondents said conservatives needed to unite behind one candidate. The 74% who selected this option were asked to identify which candidate they supported as the conservative alternative.
- 82% said the candidate to unite behind was Senator Rick Santorum.
- 16% chose former Speaker Newt Gingrich.
- 1% said Congressman Ron Paul.
- Only 18% of all respondents said it was time for the Republican Party to unite behind the front-runner, Governor Mitt Romney.
- Just 7% of all respondents supported recruiting another candidate to enter the race at this late stage.
Gary Bauer, Chairman of CWFPAC, said, "A strong consensus is emerging at the conservative grass roots to unite behind Senator Santorum. There is great admiration for Newt Gingrich's contributions to conservatism, as well as his debating abilities. But the overwhelming sentiment was that he could most help the conservative cause by standing with Santorum so that voters have a clear choice in the remaining primaries."
Bauer continued, "Having run myself, I know how difficult it can be when you are in the arena and asked to step aside. The Super Tuesday results made it clear that there is a strong conservative majority in the GOP primaries, but that vote is divided. Tuesday's results also made it clear that Senator Santorum has the advantage. Now is the time for conservatives to stand with Senator Santorum.
"Newt Gingrich is a walking think tank and one of the most effective spokesmen we have. He has always put the best interests of the conservative cause first. And at this critical moment, I believe he can best serve the cause as an advocate for our values outside the arena."
SOURCE Campaign for Working Families