BEND, Ore., Oct. 18, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Bend Research Inc. (www.bendresearch.com), a leading independent drug-formulation development and manufacturing company, has announced a full schedule of events at the 2011 annual meeting and exposition of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) in Washington, D.C.
"Bend Research's business model has changed significantly over the last few years and we are now working with more than 70 clients," said Jim Nightingale, President of Bend Research. "Many people are interested in that evolution and we're eager to talk with them about what it means in terms of partnership opportunities. But we also want to emphasize the things that haven't changed: our focus is still on offering the scientific and engineering excellence that has made us a leader in developing drug-delivery technologies. Examples of that work are what we are sharing at AAPS this year."
The company will host two colloquiums, both at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. The first, titled "Development and Robust Manufacturing of a Dry Powder Intranasal Vaccine against Norovirus," will be at 1:00 p.m. Oct. 24 in Room 158. It will feature guests from Bend Research, LigoCyte Pharmaceuticals and Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute.
"We are excited to present these novel results, which highlight a great collaboration," said Nightingale.
The second colloquium, titled "Amorphous Spray-Dried Dispersion Process Scale-Up and Quality by Design," will be at 2:00 p.m. Oct. 25 in Room 156. It will feature speakers from Bend Research, Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Bristol-Myers Squibb, and Hovione.
Space in each colloquium is limited to 60 people and guests are requested to register in advance at bendresearch.com/content/2011-aaps-annual-meeting-exposition.
In addition, Bend Research will be presenting the following eight posters at the annual meeting.
Bend Research Announces 2011 AAPS Schedule
- "An Automated, Aseptic Sampling System for Improved Bioreactor Process Control," by Adam Carroll and David Newbold from 8 a.m. to noon Oct. 26 (Poster W4386)
- "An Inhalable Formulation of Nanocrystalline Camptothecin for the Treatment of Lung Cancer," by Jeff Breit and David Vodak from 8 a.m. to noon Oct. 27 (Poster R6075)
- "Amorphous Spray-Dried Dispersion (SDD) Formulation Screening," by Rod Ketner and Doug Lorenz from 1 to 5 p.m. Oct. 26 (Poster W5239)
- "Surface Characterization of Compound X and HPMCAS Spray-Dried Dispersion Particles," by David Vodak, David Lyon, and Dwayne Friesen from 1 to 5 p.m. Oct. 26 (Poster W5265)
- "In Vitro Performance of Spray-Dried Dispersions of Low-Solubility Drugs Using Several Dispersion Polymers," by Mike Morgen, Brice Murri, Rory Morgan, and Travis Ringo from 1 to 5 p.m. Oct. 26 (Poster W5251)
- "Nanoparticles for Improved Local Retention After Intraarticular Injection into the Knee," by Mike Morgen and Warren Miller from 8 a.m. to noon Oct. 26 (Poster W4155)
- "Spray-Dried Dispersion Formulation for Oral Solubilization of a Low-Solubility Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor," by Corey Bloom, Tom Whitehead, Fred Jordan, and Steve Shuttleworth from 1 to 5 p.m. Oct. 26 (Poster W5221)
- "Development and Validation of a Wet Particle Size Method for a Water-Soluble Jet-Milled Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient," by Judson King (developed with Transcept) from 1 to 5 p.m. Oct. 26 (Poster W5340)
Bend Research will be at Booth 1813 in the convention center exhibit hall, where it will host its traditional "Booth Bar" happy hours from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. Oct. 24 and from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Oct. 25.
"I'm very proud of what we are sharing at AAPS," said Nightingale. "It shows the high-caliber work that any client can expect from Bend Research."
About Bend Research Inc.
For more than 35 years, Bend Research has worked with clients to create value to solve their most difficult scientific and technical problems and advance new medicines that improve human health. This success is based on the company's ability to develop, advance, and commercialize pharmaceutical technologies, grown from a solid base of scientific and engineering fundamental understanding.
Bend Research advances promising drug candidates from conception through commercialization by providing formulation and dosage-form support, assisting in process development and optimization, and manufacturing clinical-trial quantities of drug candidates in its cGMP facilities. Bend Research is a leader in novel formulations, including solubilization technologies such as spray-dried dispersions and hot-melt extrusion formulations, as well as controlled-release, inhalation, and biotherapeutics technologies.
The company has more than 240 employees based in four state-of-the-art facilities in Bend, Oregon, USA.
SOURCE Bend Research Inc.