NEW YORK, April 8, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- BentoBox, a website, e-commerce, and marketing platform for restaurants, in partnership with restaurant discovery platform The Infatuation, today released the first installment of its Restaurant Delivery Consumer Trend Report.
This new report will be issued quarterly and act as part of a year-long study to track how U.S. consumers' delivery and takeout habits evolve as restaurant traffic and in-person dining rebounds from the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Q1 survey features insights from more than 1,000 U.S. consumers, ages 18+, who dined out at least once per week prior to the pandemic. The report indicates that even as restaurants begin to reopen in-person dining, diners are not going to change their habits when it comes to ordering takeout and delivery.
Other key takeaways include:
- Supporting local restaurants is a major driver of continued delivery/takeout habits: Nearly one in two (50%) of diners cite a desire to support local eateries during this challenging industry climate as a factor in continuing delivery and takeout habits. Other factors for maintaining current habits include vaccine eligibility (25%), hesitancy to resume normal dining habits (34%), and overall convenience (74%).
- This trend is more prominent among heavy delivery/takeout consumers, ordering 5x+ per week (61%), the most likely to continue ordering to support local restaurants.
- Nearly 6 in 10 (57%) are ordering delivery/takeout 1-2x per week, similar to pre-COVID ordering. This could be due to a leveling off from the peak of COVID-19 where there may have been a spike in frequency.
- Diners ages 18-24 were more likely than any other age group to be ordering 2x per week, with 32% ordering delivery now, relative to 23% pre-COVID (+9 pts.).
- The 25-34 segment led in ordering 3x per week (19%), while 35-49-year-olds were most likely to order delivery 5x per week or more (10%).
BentoBox empowers restaurants to own their presence, profits and relationships. The hospitality platform disrupts third-party services that come between the restaurant and the guest. BentoBox puts the restaurant first and offers tools that drive high-margin revenue directly through the restaurant's website. BentoBox is trusted and loved by over 6,000 restaurants worldwide including Union Square Hospitality Group, Eleven Madison Park, José Andrés' Think Food Group, Manresa, Dominique Crenn Dining Group and H-Town Hospitality (Hugo's, Xochi). Based in New York City, BentoBox is one of Inc. 5000's fastest-growing companies.
About The Infatuation
Founded in 2009 in New York City by longtime music industry executives Chris Stang and Andrew Steinthal, The Infatuation has developed into one of the most innovative restaurant discovery platforms in the world. The company covers cities across the globe with a unique approach to creating and delivering restaurant reviews, guides, and recommendations via its prolific web and social media presence, useful mobile apps, and large and influential email newsletter. In 2018, The Infatuation acquired the legendary restaurant review brand, Zagat. In 2020, The Infatuation was named one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies.