PHILADELPHIA, April 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- A new web article by Best Masters Degrees puts 50 of the world's most sustainable university buildings in the spotlight. "The 50 Most Impressive Environmentally Friendly University Buildings" in the article were hand-picked for their eco-friendly features including engineering, architecture, design and qualities of sustainability. Environmentally sound university buildings typically consume far less energy and afford better sanitary conditions than older buildings.
These facilities have earned considerable industry honors for excellence in architectural and green design. Awarding agencies include the AIA (American Institute of Architects), BPN Sustainability, and the United States Green Building Council (USGBC LEED).
All of the buildings exhibit characteristics of aesthetic appeal as well as sustainability. They range from a university science lab in Pittsburgh made of 94% recycled materials to a park-like, six-story, underground university building in Seoul, South Korea.
"These universities are showing themselves to be leaders when it comes to beauty and sustainability on campus," said editor Marianna Chara. "The value to students can be tremendous."
Following is the list of "The 50 Most Impressive Environmentally Friendly University Buildings" and the architects who created them, as featured on the website Best Masters Degrees.com. The complete write-up can be found at http://www.bestmastersdegrees.com/50-most-impressive-sustainable-university-buildings.
50. University of Pittsburgh - Chevron Annex, Pittsburgh, PA: R3A Wilson Architects
49. Mills College Lorry I. Lokey Graduate School of Business, Oakland, CA: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
48. University of British Columbia - Sauder School of Business, British Columbia, Canada: Acton Ostry Architects
47. New York University - Department of Philosophy, New York, NY: Steven Holl Architects
46. Columbia University - Northwest Corner Building, New York, NY: Jose Rafael Moneo
45. Arizona State University - ISTB-4, Tempe, AZ: HDR Architecture Inc., Ehrlich Architects
44. The New School - University Center, New York, NY: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
43. Boston University – Student Services Center, Boston, MA: Bruner/Cott
42. Brandeis University - Mandel Center for the Humanities, Waltham, MA: KMW Architecture
41. SUNY Oswego - Rice Creek Field Station, Oswego, NY: Cannon Design
40. Columbia University - Gary C. Comer Geochemistry Building, New York, NY: Payette
39. Barnard College - Diana Center, New York, NY: Weiss/Manfredi
38. Westchester Community College - Gateway Center, New Rochelle, NY: Ennead Architects
37. California State University Chico - Wildcat Recreation Center, Chico, CA: Sasaki
36. University of California, Davis - Student Health and Wellness Center, Davis, CA: WRNS Studio
35. University of Pennsylvania - Wharton School - San Francisco, San Francisco, CA: Gensler
34. University of Queensland - Global Change Institute, St. Lucia, Australia: HASSELL
33. Western Michigan University – Sangren Hall, Kalamazoo, MI: SHW Group
32. University of Pittsburgh - Mascaro Center for Sustainable Innovation, Pittsburgh, PA: EDGE Studio, Nbbj
31. Arizona State University - College of Nursing, Phoenix, AZ: SmithGroup
30. Rice University - McMurtry & Duncan Colleges, Houston, TX: Hopkins Architects with Hanbury Evand Wright Viattas + Company
29. Central Oregon Community College - Science Center, Bend, OR: Yost Grube Hall
28. Leicester College - Abbey Park Campus, Leicester, UK: Bond Bryan Architects
27. Rice University - BioScience Research Collaborative, Houston, TX: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and FKP Architects
26. Clarkson University - Student Center, Potsdam, NY: Perkins + Will
25. University of Washington - Transportation Center, Seattle, WA: Rolluda Architects
24. Karolinska Institutet - Future Learning Environment, Solna, Sweden: Tengbom (Interiors)
23. New Mexico Highlands University - Student Center, Las Vegas, NM: Diamond Schmitt Architects
22. University of Amsterdam / VU University Amsterdam - Liberal Arts and Sciences College, Amsterdam, Netherlands: Mecanoo
21. Cornell University - Human Ecology Building, Ithaca, NY: Gruzen Samton | IBI Group
20. Salzburg University of Applied Sciences - Kuchl Campus, Kuchl, Austria: Dietrich | Untertrifaller Architekten
19. University of Scranton - Loyola Science Center, Scranton, PA: EYP Architecture & Engineering
18. Carnegie Mellon University - Gates and Hillman Centers, Pittsburgh, PA: Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects
17. University of California, Irvine - Medical Education Building, Irvine, CA: Mithun
16. Yale University - Kroon Hall, New Haven, CT: Hopkins Architects with Centerbrook Architects and Planners
15. Morgan State University - CBEIS, Baltimore, MD: The Freelon Group Architects
14. Roosevelt University - Academic Center, Chicago, IL: VOA Associates
13. Bastyr University - Student Village, Kenmore, WA: CollinsWoerman
12. University of Arizona - Campus Recreation, Tucson, AZ: Sasaki
11. Clemson University - Lee Hall, Clemson, SC: Thomas Phifer and Partners
10. Oberlin College - Bertram and Judith Kohl Building, Oberlin, OH: Westlake Reed Leskosky
9. University of North Florida - Biological Sciences Building, Jacksonville, FL: Perkins + Will / Harvard Jolly Architecture
8. Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication, London, UK: Foreign Office Architects
7. University of Nottingham - Centre for Sustainable Energy Technologies, Ningbo, China: MCA Architects
6. Arizona State University - Biodesign Building B, Phoenix, AZ: Gould Evans Associates and Lord, Aeck & Sargent
5. American University of Beirut - Charles Hostler Student Center, Beirut, Lebanon: VJAA; Samir Khairallah & Partners (associate)
4. La Trobe University – Institute for Molecular Science, Bundoora, Australia: Lyons Architects
3. Nanyang Technical University - School of Art, Design and Media, Singapore: CPG Consultants
2. King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Thuwal, Saudi Arabia: HOK
1. EWHA Woman's University, Seoul, South Korea: Dominique Perrault Architecture
BestMastersDegrees.com is an education and career website dedicated to providing prospective graduate students with the information they need to achieve their education and career goals.
Marianna Chara, Editor
Read more news from BestMastersDegrees.com.