SANTA CLARA, Calif., Aug. 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The United States (U.S.) next-generation sequencing (NGS) informatics market is witnessing double-digit growth, supported by the increasing demand from molecular diagnostics, biopharmaceutical, and academic institution customers. Pharmaceutical companies' strong focus on developing precision and personalized therapies, the launch of large-scale genome sequencing projects, and expected reimbursement and approval policy developments for NGS-based diagnostic tests will augment the requirement for NGS informatics solutions.
Frost & Sullivan's market research, "Transformation and Growth Opportunities in the US Next-generation Sequencing Informatics Market, Forecast to 2021," finds that the U.S. NGS informatics market generated revenues of $416 million in 2016 and is expected to register a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 19.0 percent through 2021. The research provides an analysis of current and expected market developments, drivers, restraints, and revenue forecasts across segments and customer groups. Competitive landscape for major players such as BaseSpace (Illumina), DNAnexus, Bina Technologies, Qiagen, Seven Bridges, Agilent, Edico Genome, PierianDx, SolveBio, Bluebee Genomics, and Fabric Genomics are also covered in this analysis.
To access more information on this analysis, please click here.
"End-to-end informatics solutions focused on clinical applications is the greatest unmet need of customers," explained Transformational Health Senior Industry Analyst Piyush Bansal. "Researchers' reluctance to move onto external platforms due to the lack of end-to-end informatics tools and limited availability of a clinical application-focused analysis pipeline is a key industry challenge. Overcoming this challenge will be critical to success."
Several trends and developments bolster the U.S. NGS informatics market:
- Intense merger and acquisition activities from companies such as Illumina, Qiagen, and Roche to develop unique end-to-end products and solutions;
- Strategic alliances, partnerships, and collaborations to enhance NGS bioinformatics capabilities and offer integrated, interoperable solutions to their clients;
- High adoption of cloud-based solutions to support ever-increasing high-end data storage client requirements, with public and private cloud solutions integrated into service offerings;
- Growing focus on developing informatics products for precision medicine and molecular diagnostics companies;
- Inclusion of multi-omics data for interpretation;
- Developing big data analytics in clinical interpretation;
- Strong demand for high-speed computation and data analysis tools due to launch of high-throughput sequencing equipment and population-scale genome sequencing;
- Move from core informatics solutions toward sequencing-to-report offerings with informatics platforms integrated with sequencing equipment in the long term;
- Support for public sequencing projects to develop focused expertise; and
- Emergence of strong business models like software-as-a-service (SAAS), with large companies focusing on DNA sample-to-clinical report capabilities.
"The expected entry of big data information technology companies will integrate healthcare (such as EHR and imaging data) and genomics data to develop and provide artificial intelligence (AI)-based computation and interpretation solutions," noted Bansal. "This will intensify market competition and force smaller players to innovate as clinical interpretation and reporting capabilities become key differentiators among service providers."
Transformation and Growth Opportunities in the US Next-Generation Sequencing Informatics Market, Forecast to 2021 is part of Frost & Sullivan's Life Sciences Growth Partnership Service program.
About Frost & Sullivan
Frost & Sullivan, the Growth Partnership Company, works in collaboration with clients to leverage visionary innovation that addresses the global challenges and related growth opportunities that will make or break today's market participants. For more than 50 years, we have been developing growth strategies for the global 1000, emerging businesses, the public sector and the investment community. Contact us: Start the discussion
Transformation and Growth Opportunities in the US Next-generation Sequencing Informatics Market, Forecast to 2021
Corporate Communications – North America
P: +1 (210) 348 1012
E: [email protected]
SOURCE Frost & Sullivan