ASHEVILLE, N.C., March 14, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Biltmore's gardens and grounds flourish this spring as colorful blooms blanket the estate, paying homage to the legacy of Frederick Law Olmsted and his final professional project-- George Vanderbilt's gardens at Biltmore. The estate's celebration of Olmsted's vision and the beauty of springtime, Biltmore Blooms, kicks-off March 19 and runs through May 26, 2016.
Enjoy the tropical hues of orchids in the Conservatory as the exotic flowers reach peak bloom in March. Crocus, forsythia and daffodils are among the first blooms to be sighted in the outdoor gardens, which give way to thousands of tulips in April with a concentrated tulip bloom occurring in Biltmore's Walled Garden pattern beds. May promises irises, roses, and acres of azaleas with mountain laurels and rhododendrons close behind.
For trip planning during Biltmore Blooms, stay up-to-date with what's currently flowering with weekly reports from the estate's director of horticulture at Biltmore.com/bloomreport.
Fashionable Romance: Wedding Gowns in Film
Biltmore is host to a special exhibition that is included with regular estate admission, Fashionable Romance: Wedding Gowns in Film. More than 40 wedding gowns and attire from 19 films such as Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice and Out of Africa are on display in rooms throughout Biltmore House. The exhibition continues in the estate's Antler Hill Village, featuring wedding fashion and stories from the Vanderbilt family. A highlight includes the first-ever display of the Lee Family wedding veil, worn by Mary Lee Ryan, bride of George Vanderbilt's grandson. This family heirloom was also worn by Mary Lee Ryan's cousin Jacqueline Lee Bouvier Kennedy when she married John F. Kennedy. More information at biltmore.com/events/fashionable-romance.
Biltmore Blooms seasonal activities
Two gardening and floral demonstrations are offered daily at A Gardener's Place. The sessions are Enchanted Fairy Gardens at 1 p.m. and Say 'I Do' to Orchids at 2 p.m. Demonstrations included with estate admission.
Annual Easter egg hunt: Sunday, March 27
One of the largest in the southeast, Biltmore's annual Easter egg hunt takes place on Easter Sunday, March 27, on the front lawn of Biltmore House. Entertainment includes sweet treats, magic shows, music and stories, and photos with the Easter Rabbit. Hunts begin at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Included in regular estate admission.
New beginnings this spring at Biltmore Winery
The most visited winery in the U.S. gets a refresh this spring with an expanded and remodeled tasting room and the following new wine releases and programs for wine lovers.
- New Aromatic Wine Tastings: Weekends at 3 p.m., stop by the outdoor fountain to awaken your senses with a guided wine tasting. $20 per person in addition to estate admission.
- New Sparkling Romance Seminar: Taste a selection from Biltmore's sparkling wine portfolio and learn about the role of sparkling wines in wedding celebrations throughout time. $25 in addition to estate admission.
- New Celebratory Wine Release -- Romance: Fashions featured in Fashionable Romance: Wedding Gowns in Film have a Biltmore wine worthy of the elaborate costumes with a new sec sparkling wine called Romance.
- Limited Release Spring Seasonal Wine: This spring's semi-sweet rose wine release is made from Merlot and Cabernet France varietals.
Spring break getaways
Spring days are perfect for exploring Biltmore's 8,000 acres in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The Outdoor Adventure Center offers Segway tours, horseback riding, carriage rides, fly-fishing, biking, kayaking and float trips, the Land Rover Driving Experience and more. Young guests can also encounter chicks, goats and lambs at the Farmyard in Antler Hill Village.
Stay at Biltmore
A complete estate experience is available with overnight stays at Biltmore's two properties. The four-star The Inn on Biltmore Estate is offering a variety of packages, including the Crystal Celebration Package available March 19-31, marking The Inn's 15th anniversary. The Inn's Fashionable Romance Package is available March 19-July 1.
Steps away from Biltmore Winery, the new Village Hotel on Biltmore Estate offers casual relaxation and quick access to restaurants, shopping and outdoor adventures.
Special Spring Savings
- Purchase estate admission tickets seven days in advance of your visit and receive $10 off.
- Moms receive free admission on Mother's Day, Sunday, May 8.
Resources & Multimedia
- Weekly Bloom Report
- Biltmore Blooms Timelapse
- Biltmore Blooms Online Press Room
- Fashionable Romance Online Press Room