DUBLIN, May 18, 2017 /PRNewswire/ --
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Biosimilars Market Access in Psoriatic Arthritis" report to their offering.
Tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha inhibitors Enbrel, Humira, and Remicade have long held dominant positions in the psoriatic arthritis market. These market leaders, however, face patent expirations and consequent biosimilar launches.
Payers are eager to leverage these changes in the competitive landscape and enact pro-biosimilar access measures, resulting in downward pricing pressures and/or continuing market erosion for first-generation TNF-alpha inhibitors.
The rate of this erosion is likely to be gradual initially, as both physicians and payers are not likely to advocate patient switching.
Key Topics Covered:
1. Executive Summary
- Inflectra carries biosimilar labeling designation, but is not interchangeable
- Physicians hesitant to use biosimilars, but understand that payers may hold sway
2. Five Major EU Markets
- Insights and strategic recommendations
- Uptake of biosimilar TNF-alpha inhibitors varies across EU markets as the EMA does not determine interchangeability
- Most physicians and payers consider biosimilars to be interchangeable, and an opportunity to reduce costs, but worries around indication extrapolation remain
- Payers use biosimilars to pressure originators on pricing
- Hospitals continue to procure both biosimilars and originators; dynamic pricing environment observed
- Biosimilars will be used as price benchmarks for pipeline agents
- Payers are unlikely to implement strong incentives to drive uptake of biosimilar infliximab due to limited use of the drug
- Primary research
For more information about this report visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/8gznkc/biosimilars
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/biosimilars-market-access-in-psoriatic-arthritis-2017---payers-are-unlikely-to-implement-strong-incentives-to-drive-uptake-of-biosimilar-infliximab-due-to-limited-use-of-the-drug---research-and-markets-300459960.html
SOURCE Research and Markets