Blistex Survey Reveals Lips Lose Out in Daily Grooming Routines

Majority of Women Aren't Paying Lip Service to Prevent Damage

Mar 23, 2011, 08:02 ET from Blistex

OAK BROOK, Ill., March 23, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- While 91 percent of women choose to perform at least one preventative health and wellness measure in the morning to kick-off their day (e.g., taking a vitamin, exercising and applying an anti-aging facial product), only half apply lip balm to protect their lips from dryness and sun damage according to a national poll released by Blistex. Without the proper defense, lips can become sunburned or chapped which can lead to infection and puts overall health at risk.

"One way to ensure 'good-for-you grooming' is to protect the pout," said Dr. Charles Zugerman, associate professor of clinical dermatology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University. "It's no secret that lips are often forgotten, leaving the body susceptible to infection when they become chapped or cracked. Incorporating an all-weather, all-season lip balm into morning routines ensures daily protection and prevents damaging effects to the lips."

Survey highlights from the Blistex Grooming Routine Survey include:

  • Lips lose out in sun protection. While almost three-quarters of women (72 percent) apply sunscreen to their face as part of their routine, only 30 percent apply it to their lips. Skipping this small step is a dangerous one. Lips are more vulnerable to sun damage than the rest of the body because the lips' thin outer layer has almost no melanin – the natural skin pigment that helps screen out the sun's harmful rays.
  • Balm before bed for a better morning kiss. Nearly 75 percent of women are kissing-off the chance to wake up with soft and moisturized lips, with only 25 percent of respondents admitting that they apply lip balm before bedtime. This simple habit ensures lips are healthy, supple and protected to start the day right.
  • Daily climate control needed. Nearly 59 percent of respondents report daily exposure to at least three different elements that include sun, dry air, wind and cold, yet only 44 percent said they apply lip balm in the morning before leaving the house. No matter what harsh environmental conditions you face throughout the day, be prepared with a simple swipe of a highly protective lip balm that can tackle all the elements.
  • Double-duty products are a must. Almost 40 percent of women are frustrated in having to purchase multiple products to handle varying weather conditions. Products that cross seasons and climates not only help streamline the morning grooming routine, but are also easy on the pocketbook.
  • Better habits for better health. More than 50 percent of women report sticking to their morning grooming ritual. Ensure you reap the rewards of being a creature of habit by including preventative health measures, such as applying lip balm with sun protection, to your daily grooming ritual.  

Blistex Five Star Lip Protection offers a simple solution to morning grooming routine challenges. Five Star Lip Protection moves beyond the standard to amplified protection from nature's harshest elements including dry air, cold, heat, wind and sun. Its advanced formula delivers the ultimate daily protection. Ingredients include essential oils, a proven active skin protectant, and a broad spectrum SPF 30 UVA/UVB for year-round sun protection, as recommended by the American Academy of Dermatology.

For more information on Blistex Five Star Lip Protection and other Blistex products, visit

About Blistex

The Lip Care Specialists at Blistex offer a full, innovative and differentiated product line – with highly effective formulas, unique added benefits and unparalleled sensory experiences – to address a broad spectrum of lip needs for men and women.  For additional information about Blistex products and important lip care tips, visit

About the Survey

The Blistex Morning Grooming Routine Survey is based on a national probability sample of 504 telephone interviews conducted from August 26-29, 2010 among women living in private households in the continental United States. The margin of error for data based on total sample is plus or minus 3 percentage points. The survey was conducted by CARAVAN®, an omnibus service of ORC International, for Blistex.

Contact information:
Lisa Curran

SOURCE Blistex