ARLINGTON, Va., Nov. 20, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Bloomberg BNA today announced that it is hosting Nuclear Energy, Texas and the EPA Clean Power Plan, an afternoon conversation exploring the future role of nuclear energy in Texas. The fourth in a series of nationwide events underwritten by Nuclear Matters, the discussion is being held in Austin on Thursday, December 3 from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Driskill Hotel Austin. Complimentary registration is available here.
This afternoon event will feature a keynote presentation from Robert Bryce, a renowned author on energy and politics. He has written five books including Power Hungry: The Myths of Green Energy, and the Real Fuels of the Future, and most recently, Small Faster Lighter Denser Cheaper: How Innovation Keep Proving the Catastrophists Wrong.
A panel session will follow focusing on pressing issues facing the industry in Texas. The event will conclude with a networking reception.
"The EPA Clean Power Plan tasks Texas with reducing CO2 emissions in a manner that may financially burden the state's power sector and raise electricity rates," said Chris Gadomski, Head of Research, Nuclear, at Bloomberg New Energy Finance and session moderator for the event series. "Anticipated fossil fuel plant closures may impact system reliability. As an emissions-free power source, nuclear can play a role in balancing reliability and compliance."
"We are pleased to partner with Bloomberg BNA on this latest event to continue to raise awareness of the benefits of nuclear energy plants in Texas and across the U.S.," said former Senator Evan Bayh (D-IN), Nuclear Matters co-chair. "Texas' nuclear plants produce half of the state's carbon-free electricity and provide significant benefits in the form of reliable, always-on electricity and jobs and economic growth. I look forward to continuing the dialogue around the need to properly value these plants across the country."
Topics being discussed include:
- The prospect of the EPA Clean Power Plan challenging Texas' right to oversee its electricity market.
- The recent history of nuclear power in Texas — and the prospect for future nuclear energy production in the region in light of possible fossil fuel plant closures in Texas.
- The role nuclear energy can play in helping Texas achieve compliance with the EPA's Clean Power Plan.
- The potential impact of continued low natural gas prices and the ramification of growing renewable energy penetration on the ERCOT grid — and its impact on the economics of existing nuclear plants.
In addition to Robert Bryce, confirmed speakers include:
- Former Senator Evan Bayh, Partner, McGuireWoods; Nuclear Matters Co-Chair
- Cris Eugster, Group Executive Vice President, Chief Generation and Strategy Officer, CPS Energy
- John Hays Jr., Adjunct Professor of Energy Law, University of Texas, Austin
- Larry Weis, General Manager, Austin Energy
Additional events will be held throughout 2015 and 2016 in major U.S. cities. Complimentary registration for the Austin session is available here.
About Bloomberg BNA
Bloomberg BNA, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bloomberg, is a leading source of legal, regulatory, and business information for professionals. Its network of more than 2,500 reporters, correspondents, and leading practitioners delivers expert analysis, news, practice tools, and guidance — the information that matters most to professionals. Bloomberg BNA's authoritative coverage spans a full range of legal practice areas, including tax & accounting, labor & employment, intellectual property, banking & securities, employee benefits, health care, privacy & data security, human resources, and environment, health & safety.
SOURCE Bloomberg BNA